Job at Management Sciences for Health (MSH) for a Technical Advisor, Supply Chain Management Systems
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor, Supply Chain Management Systems
Job ID: 13-10552
Project/Program: A559 – GF Malaria
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Reports To: Senior Technical Manager, PSM
- The objective of the Technical Advisor, Supply Chain Management system position is to provide technical leadership to the implementation of the Supply Chain Management Systems capacity strengthening component of the Global Fund Malaria Grant (2018 – 2020) to the state, LGA and facility levels.
- The incumbent will work in close coordination with the Senior Technical Manager, PSM to build/strengthen the capacity of the state malaria program’s (State, LGA and facility levels) supply chain management system to support quality service delivery and LMIS reporting by GF supported facilities.
- S/He will work closely with the Senior Technical Manager to support the LMCU specialist in his/her oversight function to the states.
- Work with the Senior Technical Manager, PSM in the strategic design and implementation of all SCMS activities implemented under the global fund project in the designated focus state.
- Support the senior technical manager to collaborate with the MOH, NMEP, GHSC-PSM and local partners to assure that effective and efficient warehousing and distribution systems are in place for medicines and other key commodities.
- In conjunction with the senior technical manager, participate in identifying and prioritizing capacity development activities for strengthening national and State level pharmaceutical supply chains, and building expertise in monitoring and supervision in collaboration with the MOH, NMEP and other relevant team members and partners. Develop and implement appropriate training and supervision programs.
- Coach and mentor service providers and state government partners to strengthen the SCMS capacity at the state level and in each partner health facilities.
- Utilizing adapted tools, build the capacity of relevant health facility staff (doctors/nurses/pharmacists/laboratory scientists) on forecasting, inventory management and reporting.
- S/He will provide guidance and technical support to SCM Specialists for data triangulation activities at the state and LGA levels.
- S/He will work closely with the senior technical manager to provide guidance to the Pharmacovigilance task teams at the National and State level to analyze ADR reports and use same for decisions around patient management, procurement planning, forecast and quantification.
- Work with the senior technical manager to provide TA to develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) for inventory management and other aspects of supply chain management that will assure the availability and quality of medicines and other commodities.
- Work with the senior technical manager to support country partners and other PROJECT staff in developing and implement a comprehensive approach for ensuring the quality of the commodities procured and used.
- Monitor and document the progress of activities toward achieving results of supply chain activities of the approved project work plan, baseline and periodic measurements of indicators
- Able to prepare, review and analyze last mile distribution plan and use same to inform long haul plan
- Provide guidance to a multi-disciplinary team of service providers (doctors/nurses/pharmacists/laboratory scientist) on Adverse Drug Reaction (ADRs) real time monitoring, documentation and reporting (monthly and quarterly)
- Work closely with the senior technical manager to support NSCIP/NPSCMP, and use same to support the state LMCUs.
- Work closely with partner health facilities and State government to institutionalize and implement RDTs and Testing Point-delineation-SOP and systems to ensure accountability of the commodities issued to the health facilities by State through ensuring that service providers regularly carry out stock verification and reconciliation of records when and where necessary.
- Working closely with the Senior Technical Manager, SCM, to provide TA to the state logistics technical working group (TWG)/ LMCUs to ensure the implementation of a harmonized logistic management system and framework
- Liaise and network with relevant GF SRs partners and collaborators to improve MSH’s visibility, coordination of activities and promotion of shared advocacy agenda for SCMS at the state level.
- Work closely with the senior technical manager to provide support to the states.
- Participate at national-level SCMS technical working group (TWG) meetings hosted by same or other international agencies as required.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor (Senior Technical Manager, PSM)
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree. Post-graduate degree in Public Health/Health Science is an advantage
- A minimum of 9 years of experience implementing supply chain system improvement programs of large projects in developing countries.
- Minimum of 4 years’ field level experience with Malarial programs and public health commodities supported by bilateral agencies such as GF, USAID/CDC, and other funders particularly those related to supply chain management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently coordinate the management of Supply Chain Management activities in at least 10 States Malaria program implementation.
- Ability to demonstrate skills in Pharmaceutical Care and the analytics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Has shown the capacity to support and strengthen different State governments supply sustainability structures such TWG/LMCUs.
- Ability to leverage on state government human resources to bridge gaps to meet and address emergency situations.
- Strong numeric skills and attention to detail and quality
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment while maintaining an individual workload
- Logical and flexible approach to solving problems, especially when working under pressure.
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Highly skilled pharmacist.
- Experience working with MOH and national level organizations.
- Strong project management and communication skills required.
- Previous experience in developing training materials and the delivery of training sessions.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; knowledge of appropriate methods for data analysis and reporting.
- Must be registered with the relevant professional Body-Pharmacy Council of Nigeria (PCN)
- Have an excellent grasp of SCMS issues and current literature on SCMS in a developing country context
- Have an excellent understanding of comprehensive malarial programming, including program design, implementation and evaluation
- Strong working competency in computer applications to carry out management and data analysis as maybe required
- Must possess the ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in health commodity procurement, warehousing, distribution and logistics management information systems.
- Familiarity with public health, malaria programming, data collection, analysis and presentation.
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral proficiency in English.
- Experience working with Global Fund-funded programs highly desirable.
- Experience with other donor funded projects is an added advantage.
- Data triangulation and validation activities
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 1st April, 2019.