Training Officer, Northeast Job at the Center For Civilians In Conflict (CIVIC)
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Training Officer, Northeast
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full-time
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic; frequent travel to Abuja)
Reporting to: Senior Advisor, Training Nigeria
About The Position
- CIVIC is seeking suitably qualified applicants for the position of Training Officer: Northeast Nigeria, who will be part of the CIVIC Nigeria program team.
- Along with the Senior Advisor, Training for Northeast Nigeria, you will develop and support CIVIC’s civilian protection and harm mitigation training and outreach capabilities projects in CIVIC’s portfolio.
- Develop and support CIVIC’s civilian protection and harm mitigation training and outreach
- Work with the program team to strategize and develop programs, finalize workshops and dialogue design, manage project design and implementation of Borno-based trainings and programs.
- Support advocacy of CIVIC’s core issues and recommendations to government, security, and community stakeholders, civil-military engagement, representation, and advocacy in Borno/Maiduguri/Northeast Nigeria.
- Support the design and implementation of trainings and workshops for the military, police, vigilante groups and other security actors in Borno state including scenario-based training programs for security forces engaged in operations.
- Support the creation of civil-military community dialogues in conflict-affected LGAs across Borno state.
- Identify new partnerships with like-minded CSOs, government agencies, and actors in the field and conduct desk and field research and assessments to inform fresh policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection.
- Research and draft publications (reports, briefing papers, blogs and articles etc.) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s Nigeria work.
- Collaborations, Partnership, Networking and Outreach
- Represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships.
- Travel regularly with over CIVIC staff and alone) to Abuja and focus communities in Borno State
- Perform other duties a required to further the organization’s mission.
- B.A. in International Affairs, Political Science, African Studies, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred.
- 5-7 years training and facilitation experience with police, military, or other security actors (peacekeepers).
- Oral and written fluency in English, with Hausa and Kanuri languages preferred.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Google Apps (email, calendar, etc.).
- An excellent team player with a can-do attitude, maturity and demonstrable work ethic, and the ability to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Skilled communicator, presenter, training facilitator, and bridge builder with communities in conflict, civilians, and security audiences.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work.
- Passion for CIVIC’s mission and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of the Nigeria Team.
- The successful candidate will have an active and curious mind, ability and desire to learn new skills and a sense of humor.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of full-time experience in several conflict environments – with specific experience in Nigeria and/or conflict-affected regions of Africa conducting training and carrying out other program work- including work in active and recently active conflict zones.
- In-depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict with deep knowledge of Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region including related to the conflict with Boko Haram.
- Experience in training security forces and participatory facilitation
- Prior service in military, police, civil-defense, and/or peacekeeping preferred.
- Experience of working with NGOs/CSOs/INGOs in a fast-paced environment is preferred.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online