Communications Analyst Needed at UN Women
UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Analyst
Job ID: 22097
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- In Nigeria, the UN Women Country Office contributes to the realization of Nigeria’s development vision, which informs the systemwide United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework, as well as UN Women Strategic Plan. The Nigeria Country Office aims to achieve the following results: (i) increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) increased protection of women & access to justice for women; and (iv) strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
- Reporting to the Deputy Country Representative, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
- The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Country, HQ and Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical and coordination support in the planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach:
- Analyze the communications needs of the Country Office;
- Draft Country Office communications and outreach plan based on the corporate communications strategy;
Coordinate the implementation of the Country Office publications strategy and plan:
- Implement Country Office publications strategy and plan, based on the corporate publications policy;
- Identify storylines for publications and draft substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues;
- Coordinate and manage Country Office publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc.;
- Contact printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
Coordinate UN Women media/press relations:
- Plan and implement media strategies in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media, with a special focus on local and regional priority areas of concern;
- Develop and maintain a database and relationships with media outfits (mainstream and independent media represented throughout the country);
- Draft terms of reference, participate in the selection of media consultants, backstop their work and finalize media related documents, media brief and budgets;
- Identify and facilitate opportunities for press conferences and interviews with senior managers and other relevant parties;
- Draft press releases and media kits and share final products with relevant media outfits;
- Provide responses to media inquiries; draft/ issue statements and corporate positions to media and other external audiences;
- Maintain and expand contacts with local and regional media and identify topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest to each;
- Serve as the media focal point for the country office.
Oversee and maintain online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach:
- Oversee the Country Office web site technically and editorially, and in line with the corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy or provide inputs to corporate social media accounts;
- Work with programme team to provide inputs to brochures, fact sheets, briefs and stories from the field to inform media, key stakeholders and general public, and regulate updates of the same;
- Engage and supervise video producers to produce relevant video material on UN Women’s work as required;
- Manage and channel dissemination of all information products to relevant target audiences.
Provide advice and support roll-out of UN Women special events and campaigns:
- Oversee implementation of ccommunications components of UN Women and/or UN campaigns, such as the ‘Say NO to Violence against Women’ campaign; HeForShe campaign etc.;
- Provide inputs towards conceptualization and organization of UN or UN Women-specific sspecial events with a view to reaching wider audiences.
Build communications partnerships and media alliances:
- Maintain existing partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility
- Identify innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of UN Women;
- Guide and collaborate closely with Regional/other Country Offices communications officers to advance national and regional communications partnerships.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Provide advice to UN Women staff on communications for development.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design, photography and videography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online