Program Officer, Fortification Quality Assessment Job at the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is driven by the vision of a world without malnutrition. GAIN is a Swiss-based foundation that mobilizes public-private partnerships and provides financial and technical support to deliver nutritious foods to those people most at risk of malnutrition. Over the past decade, GAIN has worked in more than 30 countries to support national efforts to fortify staple foods and reached millions of people as a part of these efforts.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, Fortification Quality Assessment
Location: Open Location to be based in either Tanzania, Nigeria or India
- The overall purpose of this position is to support the design and implementation of food fortification quality assessments at retail and producer level in three countries (India, Nigeria and Tanzania). The duration of the position is about 34 months (until end of 2021).
Tasks and Responsibilities
Project planning and implementation:
- Work with selected implementation partners in country on all aspects of project planning and implementation including technical (finalizing protocols, data collection tools, conducting trainings, supervising field work), process (implementation plan development and monitoring, tracking deliverables) and budgeting/contracting. Provide on-going support for quality assurance of all work, progress tracking and review.
- The work will entail working with local partners who are involved in the project in each of the three countries and will require missions of serval weeks in duration to and in the countries.
Protocol development for market assessments:
- Adapt and implement market assessment protocols and data collection tools from existing global templates for use in country specific contexts.
- Protocols will cover sampling, data collection methods, analytical procedures, training manual SOPs, among other relevant details.
Lab analysis planning, implementation and quality control
- Review lab methods and quality control procedures to ensure reliable lab analysis of micronutrients in foods (focus on oil, flour, sugar, milk and salt).
- Provide on-going support for quality assurance of all work, progress tracking, review of results and comparison to standards and regulations.
Data documentation and management:
- Ensure appropriate completion and systematic storage for general project documents as well as datasets and assessment specific documentation.
Analysis and dissemination
- Contribute to analysis of information collected and support all dissemination efforts including writing reports, briefs and other materials. Participate in diverse activities to support sharing learnings related to Fortification Assessment and other relevant nutrition work internally within the Knowledge Leadership (KL) team
Key Organizational Relationships
- The Country Program Officer will work closely with the LSFF teams in the countries as well as the Fortification Quality Grant team
- The Country Program Officer reports to Senior Project Manager (KL) leading the Fortification Quality Grant team
Competencies (Skills and Attributes):
- Strong managerial, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a cross-cultural team
- Skills in quantitative research methods (implementation, management)
- Skills in laboratory analysis of micronutrients in foods and laboratory quality control is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects in low and middle-income countries essential
- Experience in project monitoring and quantitative research in low and middle-income countries
- Experience in laboratory analysis of micronutrients in foods is an asset
- Postgraduate level degree in Food Science, Food Markets, Supply as well as Quality Management or other related discipline
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) essential
- Based and allowed to work in one of the 3 countries (India, Nigeria and Tanzania)
- Willingness and ability to work from or travel to countries such as India, Nigeria and Tanzania essential
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online