Vacancy For Driver at the British Council
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Role Type: Advisory, Policy and Expertise
Pay Band: 1 / K
Department: Business Support Services
Reports to: Facilities Officer, Abuja
- To support in the provision of secure transportation of personnel and resources for British Council in accordance with the Organisation’s policies and standards.
- Nigeria is one of the largest economies in Africa. It is also the most populous country with over 170 million citizens. The UK is its largest trading partner.
- Nigeria holds significant political power in the region and internationally and its society retains a positive attitude to the UK.
- There are therefore major opportunities for the UK and BC to increase influence, income and, through this, our impact by building on our strong existing relationships with the Nigerian government, institutions and customers/audiences.
- However, there are complex and substantial risks to this work i.e. security and compliance.
- The post holder will be based in Abuja, Nigeria and is part of a larger team of Business Support Services.
- This position will report to the Facilities Officer, Abuja.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Clearly communicate transport arrangements and any changes to transport users.
- Delivery excellent customer service being the first contact with all British Council visitors Report to the facilities team when not driving and provide proactive support to administrative duties.. Also carry out routine mail dispatch service as may be required.
- Ensure vehicles are serviced in line with the service schedule and that periodic routine vehicle checks are made, and that defects and damage are reported promptly. Vehicles are clean and refuelled regularly.
- Carry out driving and transportation duties in relation to travel bookings, activity and event management and maintain vehicle log books, journey and fuel records.
Other Important Features or Requirements of the Job:
- Periodic travel to risk areas is likely to be necessary following close liaison with The Head of Security. Regular unsocial and over-hours will be required to meet operational requirements of the post
Key relationships: (include internal and external):
- Visiting Consultants and partner organisations
- All employees of British Council; Senior Management team
- Language requirements:
- Fluency in written and spoken English – Shortlisted candidates will either demonstrate they have met the required standard through presentation of an agreed English language certificate or will be required to take the APTIS test and demonstrate a B2 level of English proficiency.
- A valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- FSLC passed
- Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or equivalent.
- Training or qualification in a related discipline.
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in a similar role within the corporate sector or NGO sector.
- In depth knowledge of designated locations and road signs.
- Experience of working as part of a successful team/function.
- Experience of working for an international organisation in a similar context.
- Shortlisting and/or interview.
Role Specific Skills:
- FRSC driving test
- Able to plan own work over short timescales for routine or familiar tasks and processes.
- Basic IT skills including word and excel.
- Advanced driving skills
- Customer services
- Participation in previous defensive driver training.
- Shortlisting and interview.
British Council Behaviours
- Connecting with Others (Essential)- Making regular opportunities to understand others better
- Working together (Essential)- Ensuring that others benefit as well as me.
- Being Accountable (Essential)- Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments
Interview and Performance Management.
British Council Skills:
- Communicating and Influencing (Level 1) Communicates clearly and effectively – Listens to others and expresses self clearly, with grammatical accuracy and awareness of a diverse audience in speaking and writing.
- Managing Risk (Level 1) Follows good practices – Demonstrates understanding of risk management policies and procedures and record of following them.
- Finance and resource Management (Level 1) Uses resources efficiently-
- Uses resources efficiently in own role and complies with financial rules and procedures.
- Managing People ( Level 1) Supports others- Provides support to less experienced members of the team and is aware of individual differences. Helps colleagues perform tasks and use systems and processes.
- Shortlisting and interview.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th April, 2019