Vacant Job For Protection & Community Outreach Officer at Premiere Urgence Internationale
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection & Community Outreach Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Number of position: 1
Starting date: 01/04/2019
Ending date: 30/04/2019 (Renewable due to availability of funds)
- Under the direct supervision of the Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) supervisor, the PCO Officer will support the set-up and management of a Community Outreach Workers’ Network in Bolori II ward of Maiduguri.
- S/he will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring protection and community outreach activities, in compliance with work plans, donor regulations and PUI policies, and will ensure that protection principles are mainstreamed in all sectoral programs of PUI.
- S/he will play a key role in increasing community knowledge and access to services while strengthening PUI knowledge of and acceptance within the community.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners, community leaders (especially Bulamas), community committees and other stakeholders
- Ensure the identification, internal/external referrals and follow-up of protection cases, malnutrition cases and cases with urgent needs
- Develop appropriate key messages and IEC materials and ensure that they are disseminated among the community
- Disseminate relevant and meaningful information regarding the rights of persons of concern and services available in the area in order to enhance access to services and rights.
- Proactively seek to assess people who have been missed out from assistance, such as marginalized communities, new arrivals or households whose situation has suddenly deteriorated.
- Ensure protection is mainstreamed in all PUI Programs at the field and protection cases and concerns are timely referred and addressed
- Responsible of the all community outreach interventions and activities defined, s/he develops and follows up on the work plan together with the PCO Supervisor
- Support and contribute to the field assessment, data collection and storage in a database, report writing and share community feedback and concerns
- Report immediately any difficulty or delay faced in the implementation of activities to the direct manager.
- Represent PUI at anytime and anywhere when s/he is in duty.
- Identify the Community Outreach Workers (COWs) in the areas assigned in the project intervention
- Provide capacity-building and trainings to COWs on thematic of protection (including CP, GBV, protection mainstreaming and confidentiality of protection data)
- Ensure quality services respecting “Do no harm” and confidentiality principles are provided by COWs on the field
- Support effective community engagement and community input into program activities and design through close contact and structure activities
- Participate in community events and meetings and lead the organization of awareness sessions and workshops
- Supervise Community Outreach Workers and ensure the timely implementation of their activities
- Coordinate the work of COWs: work plans, progress toward targets, and frequency of submitting collected data.
- Ensure that COWs have the necessary information on the referral system and provided services and properly understand the activities to be implemented in the framework of the project
- Ensure coordination with PUI Staff and stakeholders concerning community intervention activities.
- Support COWs in improving their performance.
- Routine field visits to monitor COWs activities.
- Continuously collect feedback from COWs and ensure the communication to the PCO Supervisor.
Logistic & Administration:
- Define the needs in materials and tools required to conduct trainings and outreach activities.
- Organize and coordinate training sessions: venue, attendees, and support materials.
Reporting & Data Collection:
- Collect, analyze, store in a database and report information received from COWs (households surveys, FGDs, awareness sessions…)
- Collect, analyze, store in a database and report information on identified protection cases and referrals
- Identify the number of assessed individuals by the COWs progress towards assigned target.
- Document and report training sessions and feedback from participants.
- Responsible of compiling and reporting to the direct superior data on a weekly, monthly, quarter and annual basis or upon request.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages – Hausa and Kanuri
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Health in a field related to Nutrition and or training/courses specific to Nutrition and Health in emergency contexts.
- Certificate of secondary education in social science/development studies/political science or related field or certificate of secondary education with at least 1 year relevant experience in the field
- Qualification in protection field an asset
- Work experience
- Proven experience working in NGOs.
Knowledge and skills:
- Computer skills
- Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Other: Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Good knowledge of community outreach, community mobilization and protection
- Excellent experience in conducting trainings, awareness sessions and surveys/assessments
- Ability to supervise teams
- Excellent communication (especially in public) and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situation
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Knowledge of international legal instruments related to protection (IHL/IHRL), IDP guiding principles, SPHERE standards, protection mainstreaming
- Knowledge or previous experience in Health and/or Nutrition is an asset
- Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues.
- Transversals skills
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy skills
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 26th March, 2019.