Job for a Purchaser at Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Purchaser
Location: Askira-UBA, Borno
Report to: Logistics Manager
Report to (functional): Logistics Manager
Contract Duration: 3 months, renewable.
- The purchaser, under the direct supervision of the Logistics Manager, is responsible for procurement activities in Askira/UBA.
- He/ She has to plan, organize procurement activities in compliance with ALIMA procedures and ensure timely delivery, reception and dispatching of goods as required.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Establish and maintain good contacts with different suppliers and avoid purchasing from very limited number of suppliers without checking prices, quality, guarantees and services on a regular basis.
- Process purchase orders, ensures all related information is available in the local database
- Negotiate and purchase: spot purchase, obtain quotations, tender;
- Negotiate purchase conditions and purchase all specific goods and services as specified in the requests
- Visit and prospect suppliers, select and evaluate their legality
- Monitor the delivery of procurement requisitions, verifying receipt and inspection of deliverables, and performing follow up actions to ensure supplies reach the desired operations
- Negotiate good prices and possible needed quantities of desired items for the future.
- Ensure guaranteeing for a long period of time for all items of a certain price according to protocols.
- Suggest possible changes in purchase order using previous experience and possible information from the market, i.e. big quantity of specific item purchased recently, better quality or better prices of specific item arriving soon to local market, when not urgent.
- Check in advance status of all boxes, packages and items purchased.
- Deliver goods to logistics department upon return and give feedback to line manager regarding purchased done and pending ones.
- Collect all purchase orders from line manager and get information regarding priorities.
- Complete purchase orders and check delivery notes, when needed.
- Prioritize payment as much as possible by bank transfer
- Ensure that complete and official receipts or invoices and delivery notes are always given upon payment and that they reflect exact quantity requested and amount of money spent.
- Update, manage and maintain relevant databases and records, to ensure the information is accurate, organized, and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements;
- Maintain good filing system for Internal Request files, suppliers’ files, products’ files;
- Ask for needed amount of money by finance department and get authorization by line manager.
- Manage correctly money and close advances issued by finance department at the end of each day.
- Collect enough quotations for all items depending on ALIMA protocols.
- Keep areas of purchaser area clean and tidy.
- Look after all equipment provided.
- Ensure correct use of extinguishers as well as know where they are located.
- Ensure that line manager is informed of any problems that might be linked to items purchased or items required to be purchased.
- Be aware of any document regarding detailed responsibilities of purchaser (ex. correct way of filling in Purchase Orders, Supplier Purchase Orders, Price limits per item needing authorization).
- Participate in meetings and possible trainings.
- Assist line manager to clarify problematic requisition orders
- Perform any other task incidental to the above as required.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work;
- Diplomatic, able to work in a team, under pressure in sometimes a dangerous environment;
- Good management, organizational and communication skills;
- Professionalism, integrity, interpersonal skills, goal focus.
- Autonomous, reactive and able to deal with priorities;
- Extremely rigorous and precise, attention to details;
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit online their Cover Letter, CV with Color Picture and Qualifications with contact details to ALIMA’s recruitment email via: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission