New Vacancies at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance & Administrative Assistant
Position N°: 50070015
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice‑Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Departement/ Country Office
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Hubs, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General (DG) and is provided with the relevant sector functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- Regional Hubs provide country offices in their regions with strategic direction and are responsible for operations, business development, project management and the overall effective implementation of the Bank’s High 5s, namely: “Light up and Power Africa,” “Feed Africa,” “Industrialize Africa,” “Integrate Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.”
- Country Offices of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank , Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners
- Under the overall supervision of the Country Manager, the Administrative and Finance Assistant will undertake to implement administrative services including accounting and budgeting, human resources activities and supervision of use of office facilities and resources.
- The incumbent will carry out effective recording, control and management of Bank resources, the Office’s operational activities in keeping with the Bank’s policies and guidelines. Other specific duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Administrative and Finance Assistant is responsible for the following activities and related services:
Budget preparation and implementation:
- Participate in drawing up the administrative budget of the Bank’s Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department while taking into account the particular investment needs of the Office.
- Ensure recording, up-dating and monitoring expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures.
- Report periodically on the status of budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
- Establishing procedures and controls to improve efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources.
- Advise the management on methods to improve control environment in the Country Office.
Finance and Accounting:
- Ensure timely payments of all bills for COCM in line with established financial procedures and regulations.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Process for payment and maintain individual staff mission expenditure; advances and balances.
- Keep and maintain daily updates of all the required Country Office books of accounts, records, inventory and files in order, and all financial transactions captured and entered in SAP.
- Produce for review and final approval of the Resident Representative, all the Office monthly financial and budget execution reports.
- Undertake timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Country Office activities.
Human Resources Management:
- Keep all staff records/files up-dated.
- Up-date and submit monthly reports on personnel management.
- Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force.
General Administration: institutional procurement of goods and services and Management of property and equipment:
- Undertake procurement of goods and services in keeping with the Bank’ rules and procedures.
- Manage the preparation and monitoring of service providers’ contracts.
- Keep stock of office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment.
- Management of office vehicles in accordance with the bank’s transport policy and instructions in force.
- Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in Cameroon, including workspaces, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities according to Bank standards.
- Organize, supervise and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Ensure all administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff are obtained from the relevant authorities.
- Proper management and control of office stores and petty cash.
- Ensure administrative support to all the Country Office staff and Bank’s visiting mission as required.
- Ensure that proper filing is undertaken in the Country Office;
- Ensure that proper control mechanism and segregation of duties are in place, and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, and/or Finance;
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (e.g. CA, CPA, and ACCA) will be considered as an added advantage.
- At least Six (6) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administrative; financial accounting and full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Job Title: Principal Country Programme Officer
Position N°: 50066403
- The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions.
- Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
The Hiring Department:
- To support Programme Implementation and Monitoring, the Country Program Officer provides facilitation to review, examine and evaluate the organization’s objectives, structure, procedures, policies and management systems.
- This is achieved through the evaluation of the efficiency and effectiveness of organizational programs, applying techniques such as management, organizational analysis, methods & procedures studies.
- The job also conducts planning and analyses of program and budget proposals to ensure conformity with the organization’s work program, strategic focus and budgetary objectives. Periodic reports to management summarizing findings and recommendations for changes based on these analyses are undertaken.
- The primary role of a Country Program Officer is to ensure a healthy and performing portfolio in the assigned Country. The Incumbent serves as the professional expert to support Country Managers with multiple work program and project activities and where required this support is extended to the Director General on Adhoc basis or as instructed.
- The role requires the continuous follow-ups with relevant task managers and prepare Country or Regional Portfolio improvement plans.
- As Country Program Officer, the incumbent provides advice and guides strategic planning through strategic analysis and results frameworks within the assigned country.
- The incumbent supports and provides input for the design and development of work programs/projects and activities based on the approved Complex strategy and results framework and provide expertise for budgeting of resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director General, the Country Programme Office undertakes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation of reports – Prepare on a quarterly basis, a summary of the Quarterly Portfolio Report prepared by the country Office CPOs for the Director General, Deputy Director General, Regional CPO and the Lead Economist.
- Prepare on a monthly basis a synthesis of the implementation of the department work program and highlight the bottlenecks and proposed solutions.
- Monitor the implementation of the recommendations of the monthly portfolio flashlight reports.
- Budget Management – As Budget Coordinator or focal person to the department, play a coordination role for the preparation of the departmental work program and related budget jointly with Country Economists and Country Program Officers.
- Coordination – Coordinate the departmental submission through the use of the BRAG tool in coordination with country office CPOs.
- Coordinate overall portfolio management and operations programming.
- Monitoring – Follow-up and manage portfolio and operational activities.
- Follow-up on BDEV and project audit recommendations and requirements of the Board.
- Project & Work Program Management – Work with Sector Experts responsible for specific projects to ensure that solution to pending projects problems are resolved, and additionally serve as Secretary to the Country Team.
- Relationship Management – Serve as a corporate relationship manager for the Bank at the level of the Regional Hub.
- Serve as the focal point and spokesman on operational issues between the Regional Hub and external constituencies and borrowers.
- Compliance Management – Ensure that activity reports and audit reports comply with Bank requirements and are submitted on time.
- Ensure that the recommendations of supervision, portfolio review and audit missions are implemented.
- Provide effective oversight to project task teams on quality and compliance with Bank operational processes and procedures (including referring them to the relevant responsible staff in fiduciary, legal, safeguards, or other specialized areas);
- Oversee and support the work of Sector staff in undertaking country portfolio performance review processes with the Government and other Development Partners.
- Undertake quality control of key documents, participate in dialogue with Government, Regional or Country Economic Communities as required, and follow up on agreed actions;
- Support the Country Manager in ensuring country office team members actions comply with Bank Ethics, Regulations, Policies and guidance.
- Provide input to the preparation portfolio related to country briefs for Annual Meetings and other briefs to Management.
Coordination of Non Lending Activities:
- Advice the Country Manager on strategic options as required to improve revenue generation and/or cost efficiencies. Work closely with the Country Manager and provide input to the yearly business planning and budgeting process, by considering the assigned Country’s needs & advising to ensure that work programmes are well constructed and aligned with Bank’s priorities that include but are not limited to income generation & operational priorities.
- Provide support in administering the Analytic and Advisory Activities and lending operations at various stages of preparation and provide inputs on such documentation. This function focuses on reviewing and assessing concept notes, draft appraisal reports, other operations documents and final outputs;
- Under the guidance of the Country Manager, establish and, strategically manage solid working relationships with the assigned country’s government, international development agencies, clients and key stakeholders.
- Support the Country Manager to manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Actively support the Country Manager to manage relationships with government and other Development Partners (DPs).
- Advises on and lead initiatives and strategies to foster effective and strong relationships with Government, Private Sector and Development Partners.
- Lead the Country portfolio performance review process with the relevant RECs/Government and other Development Partners that include responsibility for quality control of key documents, taking part in dialogue with RECs/Government and following up on agreed actions;
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Actively interact with task managers/relevant Bank units and the PIUs/government agencies to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the portfolio management;
- Provide feedback to the Country Manager on Bank policies, strategies and operational procedures, with an aim towards continuous improvement of Bank policies implementation;
- Incorporate lessons learned in project development and implementation.
- Support the Country’s efforts to improve the Bank’s visibility in the region;
- Represent and provide visibility when and where required for and including through organizing/participating in high profile events such as senior level visits, interviews, seminars, business events and conferences;
- Focus on ensuring high quality and performance of the Country’s portfolio;
- Ensure all reports and submissions are timely and of high quality;
- Work jointly with relevant country teams and managers to meet KPI assigned targets; and
- Play a key role and advise within the assigned Country on economic, political, social and other developments relevant to the Bank’s operations in the country.
- Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose – Provide a direct and indirect operational support that contributes to the Region or Country output and mandate of the Complex.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree (or its university equivalent) in Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Agriculture/Forestry, Business Administration, Public Administration and knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank, with a similar development institution or the public service;
- Experience in the practice of procurement of goods/works, and the acquisition of consultancy services under donor funding conditions;
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Relevant and required experience gained on the African continent;
- Experience gained within multilateral development finance institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and/or review of operations in a multilateral financial institution;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Innovation & Creativity
- Client Orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Professional Expertise
- Relationship management skills
- Influencing skills
- Takes Initiative/Spotting Opportunity/Pushing Strategy
- Highly organised & structured
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, with an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors
- Operational Effectiveness skills using all the systems, procedures and culture within the organization for required results delivery.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external, and understands when and how to apply tact, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, understand unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself accordingly.
Executing for Results:
- High level of expertise in managing portfolio performance
- Make effective, timely and well-determined interventions for results delivery.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Client and results orientation, with strong analytical and communication (both verbally and in writing) skills, responsiveness, sense of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to build successful teams, relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Ability to provide comprehensive thought Leadership on Programme Delivery and related issues
- Mentorship/Coaching Skills
- People Management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Job Title: Chief – Total Rewards and Performance Management Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50050490
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, information technology, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the Human Resources Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed human resources work-way, the Human Resources Management department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and human resources delivery; Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking; Human Resources Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new Human Resources Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Staff Training and Development Division embeds a strategic approach to human resource development and management that results in more effective talent and performance management including strategic sourcing and career development and mobility, leadership development, compensation and reward, policy and compliance.
- The Chief Total Rewards and Performance Management Officer provides strategic and operational leadership in the design, development, implementation, administration, and communication of our Total Rewards programs and Performance Management in the Bank.
- He/she oversees and administers the employees’ monetary and non-monetary rewards and benefits by assessing and understanding employee needs and designing targeted programs that will increase performance, organizational trust and satisfaction.
- The goal is to ensure effective staff engagement and our ability to attract, retain and motivate high quality employees while reducing turnover and enhancing the Bank’s profile as best place to work. He/she manages the Total Rewards & Recognition as well as the Performance Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager – Staff Development and Training, the Chief Total Awards and Performance Management Officer will undertake two (2) key activities: i) Total Reward and Recognition, and ii) Performance Management programs and activities. He/ she will be responsible to:
- Analyse current rewards and recognition programs to ensure they align with the Bank’s business strategy and ensure that rewards programs optimize the ability to attract, motivate and retain top talent.
- Lead the definition and designing of the Bank’s Employee Value Proposition especially in relation to total rewards and recognition elements.
- Analyse the market competitiveness and cost-effectiveness of rewards to ensure they optimize our ability to attract top talent using various methods and techniques to make data-based decisions on direct financial, indirect financial and non-financial compensation and benefits elements.
- Assess employees’ needs by conducting organizational psychology surveys to find out what motivates and engages employees.
- Provide expertise for job analysis and evaluations in liaison with recruitment, workforce planning, job descriptions and evaluation team.
- Participate in salary and labour market surveys to determine prevailing reward practices, rates and benefits. Monitor comparators practices, market conditions, and classification and compensation trends to inform the formulation of baseline standards for the development of the total rewards strategy and policy in the Bank.
- Partner with corporate and business leadership and Human Resources Business Partners to leverage compensation and benefits programs and proposes differentiated pay systems to invest in the segments of workforce that contribute the most value to meet organizational objectives.
- Deploy effective communication strategies and success metrics relating to rewards and performance management in the Bank; Deliver and execute the Bank’s staff retention strategy.
- Conduct ongoing research into emerging trends, issues and best practices and periodic audits to assess relevance and compliance reward practices.
- Execute the Bank’s rewards policy and enhance it towards a Total Reward Model and Pay for Performance practices in the Bank.
- Oversee the development of high level strategic management reports including making recommendations for Management and Board consideration.
- Lead the development and management of Human Resources Information Systems to enhance Human Resources reporting/analytics capabilities on rewards and performance management.
- Act as the lead expert to advise and support the Bank and its management to harness, direct and support teams and individuals to engage in delivering the organisation’s mission and objectives; designing and leading the necessary initiatives to incubate and promote performance culture within the Bank.
- In liaison with Management of the Bank, analyse performance management needs of the Bank and develop relevant long-term programs and strategies for implementation; including the necessary monitoring for Bank-wide standards and supervision of cycles, activities, milestones and communications.
- Assist Human Resources Business Partners in the monitoring and review of staff performance and provide coaching and advice.
- Support the department and Human Resources Business Partners on areas of research, data collection, statistical analysis and performance reporting and Policies and Procedures. This may include the investigation of the causes of poor performance and in developing, and implementing actions for the improvement of performance and delivery.
- Work with teams across the Human Resources Management department including Human Resources Business Partners to manage more complex project on total rewards and performance management and ensure internal capacity building and policy compliance.
- Seek out opportunities for the implementation of bespoke Human Resources interventions that build organisational resilience, capacity and capability of services, evaluating interventions to ensure they meet agreed targets.
- Contribute to the review of existing systems and policies; and develop new policies and program in the areas of rewards and recognition, performance management, coaching and mentoring.
- Develop best practice organisational performance policies and procedures and strategy that supports the implementation of performance management framework model having regard to: (i) Vision;( ii) Resources; (iii) Accountability; (iv) Change management process and education, whilst creating a supporting culture committed to Organisational Performance.
- Ensure that organisational policies, practices and procedures are developed, implemented and maintained ensuring legal compliance in the areas such as: (i) Total Reward (ii) Discrimination and Harassment; (iii) Performance Management; (iii) Organisational Performance Management Framework; (iv) Total Reward Administration (v) Learning and Development; (vi) Human Resource Management.
- Supervise, mentor and/or coach staff and colleagues to build knowledge and capacity, ensuring a consistent standard of service delivery and strengthen pay for performance culture within the Human Resources Management department and Bank wide.
- Plan and budget for all activities within the annual budgets cycle ensuring that Performance Management and Total Rewards activities are implemented within the agreed budgets.
- Oversee the management of vendor relationships, contracts and bid negotiation.
- Generate annual reports relevant to the Total Rewards & Performance management activities of the Bank and recommend relevant improvements.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Human Resources Management, Organisational Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Compensation, Public Sector Management, Finance, Accounting, Statistics or related discipline; Additional professional qualification/certification in Human Resources Management, Rewards management or in performance management.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience as a Human Resources Professional (specialist or generalist) including the following specific areas: Performance Management, Compensation and Benefits, Policy and Programme, Human Resources Business Partnerships or in any other related areas.
- Strong and demonstrated professional experience in Human Resources Management, compensation and benefits including Total Reward and performance management or in any related domains.
- Proven ability and experience leading his/her direct reports including performance supervision, development and resource management.
- Proven experience in applying policy and a balanced approach to risk and resolving issues promptly.
- Significant experience in the use and application of information & communication systems and software.
- Substantial experience of resource management and project management.
- Problem-solving skills; be well organized, and have advanced ability to plan, prioritize and deliver in a pressured work environment: ability to make things happen.
- Ability to speak with confidence and conviction, build and present a rational case to win support for ideas.
- Ability to develop effective relationships inside and outside the institution, promote collaboration and deal constructively with conflict and disagreement.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide consultancy to different stakeholders.
- Proven capacity to innovate, and promote change initiatives in Human Resources Management policies in large organizations.
- Expertise, knowledge and an understanding of principles, practices, and procedures relating to compensation and benefits and performance management.
- Strong generalist Human Resources experience and in-depth understanding of Human Resources processes and policies with fully operational depth in at least three of the under-listed skill areas (i) Compensation and benefits including Total Rewards (ii) Performance Management & Change Management (iii) Policies design (v) Learning & Development, (vi) Human Resources Information system.
- Strong financial skills and mathematical aptitude.
- Sound analytical skills – ability to build and analyze Human Resources data accurately including Human Resources approved key performances indicators.
- Ability to work in a client-centric, business partnering environment.
- Sound understanding of the business and operational needs with proven capacity to innovate, and promote change initiatives in corporate human resource policies and services in large organizations;
- Comprehensive applied knowledge of the fundamentals of employment relationships, legislation and organizational development.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and creativity in identifying options and risks in order to make the right decisions around issues that have the potential to have a significantly adverse effect on the organization both in financial and employee relations terms.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications. Experience of SAP HR, Project Management software and Access (Database) is advantageous.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th May, 2019.
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).