Job at Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) for a Nursery Supervisor
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursery Supervisor
Location: Askira-UBA, Borno
Reports to: Nurse Activity Manager
Reports to (Functional): MedRef
Responsible for: Ward In-charges, Nurses
Contract Duration: 3 months, renewable.
Main Job Objectives
- To supervise the overall management and ensure the smooth running of nursing activities, including the supervision of nurses, nurse assistants and paramedic helpers, in order to ensure 24/7 good quality nursing care of patients admitted in ALIMA health program, in collaboration with the doctors and respecting a protocols & guidelines.
- Assign duties and coordinate nursing service.
- Updates monthly roster at least 10 days before the end of the month.
- Ensure safety and hygienic working conditions for the staff (know procedures in the case of accidental blood exposure)
- Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when needed and referring to the doctor.
Managing patient flow:
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed into health services. Ensure patients with lack of autonomy are assisted.
- Ensure systematic follow-up of non-attending patients.
- Ensure cleanliness of clinics and adherence to Universal Precautions.
- Maintain and promotes standards of nursing;
- Instruct preparation and maintenance of patients’ clinical records.
- Identify staff development and training needs;
- Monitor the use of diagnostic services to ensure effective use of resources.
- Structure and equipment:
- Manage the availability, correct use and maintenance of medical supplies, equipment and clinic premises
- Ensure that the infrastructure is maintained in good conditions
- Report any problem to his/her direct supervisor
- Supervises the regular maintenance of the clinics
- Human Resources Management Follow up of hospitalized patients:
- Technical referent if required in the selection of new nurses, Assist in the evaluation and professional development of nursing personnel
- Instruct professional and paraprofessional nursing staff about policies and procedures.
- Evaluate nursing activities to ensure a good patient care, good staff relations, and efficiency of service.
- Plan department workflow and determines priorities
- Observe nursing care (check that nursing care is carried out as directed, treatment administered in accordance with physician’s instructions) and provide direct care as needed
- Investigate and resolves complaints, or refers unusual problems to his/her direct supervisor.
- Incident report related to nursing activities shall be registered in a special book.
- Monthly data collection for patient referrals, patient education sessions, doctor and nurse consultations, and missed appointments
- Monthly data collection on number of dressings done.
- Attendance at weekly medical and project meetings
- Cover the gap of nurse when required in the project.
- Any other task as deemed necessary by the supervisor but in line with overall job responsibilities.
List of technical competencies required for the position, such as (not exhaustive):
- Planning capabilities, organizational skills,
- Management skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills (good knowledge of MS Office and specifically excel)
- List of personal qualities required for the position, such as (not exhaustive)
- Diplomacy, good communication and interpersonal skills,
- Multi-cultural flexibility or experience, Team Player,
- Calm, stress management, patient,
- Confidentiality, strong sense of integrity
- Ability to adapt to new circumstances, flexibility
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit online their Cover Letter, CV with Color Picture and Qualifications with contact details to ALIMA’s recruitment email via: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission.
Application Deadline: 17th April, 2019.