Research Supervisor Job at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-years renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in coordinating activities in the laboratory that include single spore isolation, identification and long-term storage of banana pathogens and biocontrol agents;
- Assist with scoring for banana and plantain disease in the laboratory, screenhouse and breeding fields;
- Assist in establishing banana weevil and nematode culture, extraction of DNA, running of PCRAs, gels on pathogens and biocontrol agents;
- Provide assistance to students and visiting scientists;
- Assist in developing laboratory compliance and operating protocol, ensure proper data entry and record keeping in the unit;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- B.Sc/HND in Plant Science, Agriculture, Biology or related field with minimum of two (2) years’ experience performing similar or related roles.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Good knowledge of field and screenhouse disease scoring culture of pest, pathogen and endophyte isolation and PCR.
- Experience in running and interpretation of gels and generate laboratory reports.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft tools.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
26th April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.