Secours Islamique France (SIF) recruitment for a WASH Officer
Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a Non-Governmental Organization of international solidarity based in France. Founded in 1991, SIF is a non-profit and non-political organization dedicated to alleviate the suffering of the poorest people. SIF acts wherever humanitarian and social needs require mobilization of emergency relief and/or implementation of development programs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with visits
Line Manager: Program Officer
Line Manager + 1: Head of Mission
Location: Based in Maiduguri with visits
Duration of contract: 3 month with to project locations possible extension
- In Nigeria, SIF provides assistance for both urgent basic needs for those displaced by violence as well as longer-term support for returnees and IDPs in protracted displacement settings.
- Our current programme includes NFI, shelter, WASH assistance, livelihoods support, protection activities delivered through multi-purpose community centers as well as refugee camps.
Role within the Organization
- The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Officer is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs, for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes at all stages of the project management cycle
- The WASH Officer insures the overall success of the program by making sure to complete the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality
The WASH Officer is under the Program Officer’ responsibility for all operational aspects, he also works in close cooperation with all the team. Under the responsibility of Program Officer and Head of Mission the WASH Officer’ tasks will be (but not limited to):
Objective 1: Support the program Officer for smooth implementation of WASH project in the camp
- Support the SIF program officer in the implementation of WASH project activities, ensuring that services are delivered on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations;
- Provide technical support, in all areas of WASH programming, ensuring that implementation methods are consistent with acknowledged good practice and achieve sustainable results;
- Contribute so that the WASH project designs are implemented in ways responsive to camps, partners and in line with Donors principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SIF procedures and quality standards;
- Support the Program officer in developing WASH Project implementation plan including procurement and distribution schedules of project inputs in line with project logistics/supply chain capacity;
- In coordination with the program officer, ensure that WASH work-plans in place and follow up with team members regularly to ensure that activities are on track;
- Responsible for the implementation in the working sites of the safety measures/rules for both SIF teams (including daily hired) and the populations/public;
- Ensure proper and effective use of project resources, ensuring that all resources/assets in project are managed in line with Donor policy.
Objective 2: Daily supervision of water and sanitation construction activities including preparing technical designs and bills of quantities
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate technical assessments;
- Assist the SIF program officer in the selection, design and construction of water systems, using ground water or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems in the camps;
- Prepare a Written Work Instruction for use on-site to bring clarity to contractor’s roles and responsibilities in each stage of the execution of construction activities;
- Continually assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of public health;
- Ensure that work meets with minimum standards;
- Assist and participate in community mobilization;
- Ensure that all technical work reflects the needs and preferences of different target groups.
- Provide technical assistance to the Program officer to assess sanitation needs, and design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with male and female beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage;
- Consider different maintenance mechanisms, ensuring that they are appropriate to the local context and cultural norms and that facilities are sustainable;
Objective 3: Support the SIF program officer to the identification & formulation of WASH projects
- Participate in WASH technical assessments as directed by the program officer and HOM;
- Contribute in continuous situation monitoring of the humanitarian situation in the camp and report to Program Officer;
- Contribute to design of new proposals for emergency response, medium- and long-term programming;
- Contribute in the definition of the WASH strategy for SIF, and implement projects taking into account the key internal and external documents.
Objective 4: Support the program officer in developing proper Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting of projects
- Participate and support the program officer in developing M&E and indicator tracking plans or the grants, developing additional M&E tools as necessary to monitor project progress, with support of HOM;
- In close collaboration with program officer, monitor progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to project design as necessary;
- Support the program officer to establish appropriate checks and controls to ensure the quality of WASH construction works;
- Support the program officer Preparation of timely and high-quality project reports on project activities in compliance with internal SIF requirements.
- Contribute to appropriate, timely and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting;
- Contribute to project monitoring/learning feeds into alterations into project design;
- Work with program officer and HOM to identify and incorporate project suitable accountability mechanisms;
Objective 5: To actively participate in external coordination within the WASH sector at the camp level, LGA, state level, as well as national level as required
- Participate in WASH Coordination meeting held at the camp, LGA and state levels as directed by the Program officer;
- Develop WASH contacts with other NGOs, agencies and technical bodies as directed by the program officer;
- Support the program officer to assess feasibility of SIF technical support and guidance to partner agencies and relevant governmental bodies.
Objective 6: Train and capacity building of partners
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct trainings for both internal staff and external stakeholders;
- Assist the program officer in the development of technical guidelines and tools;
- Assess areas for improvement and recording lessons learnt for future activities;
- Other duties when required.
- Civil and Water Resources Engineering, Geology, Environmental or Public Health Engineering Degree (Bachelor level or equivalent/higher) in a field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH);
- Pluridisciplinary: intervention capacity with the different strand of action (Agriculture, food security, child care, relief, rehabilitation and development) is an asset;
- Excellent written and spoken English (essential),Kanuri/Hausa languages;
- Consistent reporting skill;
- Experience supervising staff;
- Excellent communication skills and flexibility;
- Knowledge of conceptual tools (e.g. logical framework) is an asset;
- Computer skills (MS Office, particularly MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook).
- Additional training courses specific to WASH in development contexts (such as Bioforce Institute graduates), and/or Program Management professional certifications, strongly preferred;
- Experience in the INGO/NGO and humanitarian context precisely WASH (hard ware);
- Experience in Preparation of project Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is essential;
- Wastewater networks constructions experiences is an asset;
- Hygiene awareness-raising campaign implementation experiences;
- Flexibility, Organisation skills, Sense of responsibilities, Analysis and coordination skills, Good interpersonal skills, Ready to listen to people, Capacity to prioritize, Open-mindedness and common sense, Strong humanitarian motivation
- The position is based in Based in Maiduguri with frequent visits to project locations
The tasks described in this job description are not exhaustive or limited. Due to the nature of the mission and the organization, the WASH Officer may be requested to perform further tasks related to his responsibilities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application along with an up-to-date CV + a Cover Letter (including 3 referees with their current official contacts) by email to: email@example.com The email subject line should be marked: “WASH Officer”.
- Please mention clearly in the e-mail, Cover Letter and CV your name in consecutive order: Your First name; Surname and Other name.
- Please do NOT attach in your application copy of your certificates, diplomas and other education background documents. We’ll request them if you are shortlisted.
- Kindly please note if the above mentioned will not be followed then your application is not be taken into consideration
Application Deadline 12th May, 2019.