Recruitment at The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Director – D1
Reference of the Notice of Recruitment: ECW/HR/CIC/03051927
Location: Yaoundé / Cameroun
Statut: International Staff
Institution: Interregional Coordination Centre (ICC)
Type De Contrat: Contract (4 years renewable once)
Supervising: All the Staff of ICC
Supervisor: Meeting of the Head of Institutions of the ECOWAS Commission, the ECCAS Commission and the Commission of the Gulf of Guinea
Roles Et Responsabilites
Under the general supervision of the Annual Meeting of Heads of Institution of ECOWAS, ECCAS and CGG, the Executive Director, Head of the Interregional Coordination Centre (ICC) assumes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Recruit auxiliary personnel assigned to the domestic service of the Center;
- Prepare and execute the Center’s budget;
- Implement the resource mobilization strategy;
- Represent the Center for all legal matters.
- Carry out other tasks that may be assigned to it by the Annual Meeting of Senior Officials of ECOWAS, ECCAS and CGG.
- Prepare the action program and activity reports of the Center;
- Submit to the Annual Meeting of Senior Officials, mid-term and annual reports on the activities of the Center and special reports when circumstances require;
- Ensure the fulfillment of the missions mentioned in Article 3 of the Additional Protocol to the Memorandum of Understanding;
- Propose measures to improve action at sea in the Gulf of Guinea;
- Prepare the sessions of the Annual Meeting of Senior Officials;
- Appoint, at the behest of the Parties, the staff of the Center;
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Have a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, including Political Science, Law, International Relations, Peace and Security Studies, Criminology, Development Studies. A higher degree in a relevant field can replace two (02) years of professional experience.
- Good knowledge of the Yaoundé Maritime Safety Architecture;
- Good knowledge of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS);
- Have a very good knowledge of the skills and policies of the various stakeholders in the maritime sector;
- Have expertise in preparing and formulating strategies to combat crime at sea;
- Strong ability to maintain professional networks and develop partnerships;
- Have a good command of the analysis, interpretation and sharing of strategic communication;
- Have a good command of the coordination of the works; Have a good mastery of personnel management;
- Demonstrate proven leadership, integrity and moral probity;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Be able to make frequent trips.
- To be a citizen of ECOWAS Region;
- To be a civilian;
- Have a professional experience of at least 20 years, including 10 years at increasingly higher levels of responsibility in an Institution dealing with civil or military maritime issues;
- Have proven experience in an International Organization;
- Have a good knowledge of security issues in the maritime area of â€‹â€‹West and Central Africa;
- Having participated in the Yaoundé Process would be an advantage;
Key Skills of the Center
- Effectiveness, diversity, participation, transparency, integrity, honesty, professionalism and excellence are the core values â€‹â€‹shared by all professions within the Center.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to write and edit various written reports.
- Ability to ask questions to clarify, show interest in two-way communication.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information with colleagues and parties involved in the action at sea.
- Works with colleagues in West and Central Africa to achieve the goals of the Center.
- Proactively develops partnerships with other public and private institutions, ensuring effective cooperation.
- Solicit contributions by truly valuing other ideas and skills.
- Eager to learn from others and able to work in a diverse, multicultural and multi-ethnic environment, working with transparency and building trust with colleagues.
- Planning and organization: good organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to plan and organize international and multi-party conferences, meetings, workshops, awareness campaigns, seminars, dialogues and other missions.
- Demonstrates maturity and confidence in facilitating processes with key stakeholders, including governments, development partners and civil society organizations.
- Ability to produce and maintain high quality products within tight deadlines. Take responsibility for fast, accurate and quality delivery of results.
- Have a good knowledge of computer tools Word, Excel, PowerPoint / internet.
- Must be fluent in English and French. A working knowledge of another language would be an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Candidate File stated below to: ExecDirIntRegCoord@ecowas.int
Composition of the Candidature File
- CV ;
- letter of motivation addressed to the Chairman of the Heads of Institution of ECOWAS, ECCAS and GGC (President of the ECOWAS Commission);
- Certified copy of the diplomas;
- Medical Certificate less than three (03) months old, issued by a Doctor;
- Criminal record of less than three (03) months;
- Certificate of nationality.
Application Deadline 5th July, 2019.
Note: Only selected candidates will be invited / Female applications are particularly encouraged.