Laboratory Technician Job at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Location: Gwoza local Government, Borno.
Working hours: 48 Hours Per week
Grade level: 5 (Five)
Job Family: Medical
Position in the Organization
- Reports to (Hierarchical): Project Medical Referent
- Reports to (Functional): Laboratory Technician Supervisor / Laboratory Activity Manager
- Perform clinical laboratory activities according to MSF protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment.
- According to medical prescription, preparing and performing clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following MSF protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
- Taking blood, vaginal and urethral samples.
- Centrifuging blood and urine samples.
- Performing laboratory exams (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology or parasitological, according to context of the mission).
- Ensuring proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity and give information to the relevant persons, ensuring confidentiality.
- Taking care, manage and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment:
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning
- Applying hygiene and safety protocols, doing daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are done.
- Ensuring proper sample waste disposal according to MSF protocols and highest safety standards.
- Supplying orders, do stock, storage conditions follow-up, keep inventory.
- Keeping organized the data collection system of laboratory results and all information generated from the analysis done.
- Reporting all relevant information linked to the activity in the laboratory to the line manager, especially the loss/robbery/damage of laboratory equipment or medicines.
- Performing minor maintenance and cleaning of the biomedical equipment following user manual and protocols. Alerting the supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.List item
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Performing blood transfusion procedures (TTIs screening, donor bleeding, crossmatch and blood bank management according to MSF standards and protocols)
- Performing context specific laboratory exams with the use of following equipment: PIMA CD4, Sysmex blood analyser and spectrophotometer.
- Teaching other health professionals on how to do point of care tests including Hb, Blood glucose, urinalysis and malaria RDTs, and the bedside verification test)
- Make the rounds in the morning and evening rooms for the collection of blood in the tubes, blades in order to carry out the requested examinations.
- Ensure that the results of the laboratory exams are returned to the ward and given to the health care staff.
- Active participation in organized medical meetings.
- Preparing and packing samples for epidemiological or clinical investigations in referral laboratories and document all the tests in appropriate tools
- Assist the laboratory supervisor in the collection of laboratory data as needed and report any emergency findings when it occurs to the PMR.
- Carry out his job with respect to MSF principles and patient confidentiality
Note: This list of activities is not exhaustive, MSF may ask you to perform other tasks according to the needs of the context
- Education: Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree.
- Experience: Minimum two years working experience essential.
- Languages: Mission language (English) desirable and local language (Hausa) essential.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Competencies: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
As per the MSF salary scale (National Contract).
Application Closing Date
15th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter and copies of all necessary credentials preferably by email: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in subject their full name and “lab tech” application.
Submit a CV and motivation letter and CREDENTIALS in person, in an envelope marked “Laboratory Technician – Gwoza” to MSF Spain Gwoza office, Gwoza LGA, Office.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- MSF encourages female candidates to apply. MSF encourages people with disability status to apply.