Recent Jobs at Voluntary Service Overseas
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities; sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Consultant, Northeast
Locations: Borno, Yobe, Adamawa
Contract length: 60 days
Full Time: 38 hours per week
Start date: 1 July 2019
- VSO Nigeria is seeking a National consultant to undertake a comprehensive risk assessment of the North East region and review the country office’s security and safety mechanisms.
- The consultant will work closely with the Security Focal Point, and the senior management team.
- The consultant will engage with VSO partners and stakeholders, humanitarian and development organisations, government agencies, including state security outfits and community leaders, to better understand the security and safety challenges in the north east, identify existing response mechanisms and map potential strategic partners with whom VSO could build collaborations to support safety, security and medical preparedness and responses.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the key risks and threats to the safety and security of persons, assets, premises and activities of VSO Nigeria in Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and Gombe;
- Provide advice, guidance and practical recommendations on risk reduction and mitigation measures to respond to the identified risks/threats.
- Undertake a context analysis of Nigeria generally, and specifically Borno, Adamawa, Yobe and GombeStates, with a particular emphasis on the potential project target LGAs as contained in the project plan. The analysis should include incident mapping, current risk analysis, a summary of existing external security mechanisms and sources of reliable and timely security updates.
- Review VSO Nigeria’ssecurity operating procedures and make practical recommendations to strengthen processes, procedures and responsiveness.
- Identify statutory agencies and critical friends in the North East [state security agencies, local NGOs, UN agencies, INGOs].
- Overall health infrastructure availability and risks in the identified States, including facilities that manage sexual violence and provide psychosocial support.
- Implement approved action plan and recommendations
- Produce a country context and trend analysis document, specifically identifying the major types of safety, security and health threats and risks, including their common indicators;
- Produce a comprehensive security analysis of the named States.
- Produce location specific risk assessments for identified project communities and locations. This will include security, medical, transport, safe houses, strategic security partners, relocation and evacuation points.
- Produce a relocation and evacuation plan for each of the identified project locations.
- Produce a security plan and standard operating plan for security and health/medical preparedness and responsiveness, protocols and systems for operating in the NE.
- Produce reviewed / updated VSON’s security-related policies that complement the NE plan.
- Produce a comprehensive securityand health contact database of security focal points and contact persons for identified state security agencies, humanitarian and development agencies, community and local government area leaders, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Produce guidance and contacts on how to secure licenses/permits required for operating in the identified States in relation to communications, access/travel permits etc., and facilitate the process.
- Produce a template to assess the capacity of partners to support the safety and security of volunteers and their understanding of their duty of care obligations.
- Debrief and report submission will take place 3 days from completion of risk assessment in the field. Final documents to be submitted 7 days from debrief.
Reports to the Country Director and will be expected to:
- Hold meetings with key country office staff to understand the personnel and program needs in relation to safety, security and health;
- Hold briefing and debriefing meetings with the senior management team at agreed regular intervals for accountability and guidance;
- Work closely with the Security Focal Point in-country and the Global security team
- Arrange and hold meetings with relevant stakeholders in the North East
Duration – 60 days:
- Debrief and orientation post-hiring – 5 days
- Risk assessments in North East locations- 20 days
- Debrief, writing and submissions of all reports and templates -10 days
- Action plan implementation – 25 days
- Right to work in Nigeria. In-depth understanding of the North East Nigeria conflict and security situation. Track record of conducting high-quality security assessments, preferably for INGOs operating in conflict/fragile environments. Has held a senior security manager role in an INGO.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of providing high quality security support to project teams in the field.
- Able to demonstrate strong links with key security networks in the North East particularly, and Nigeria in whole. Strong communication skills and a proven track record of producing written documentation in English. Fluency in Hausa an added advantage but not a requirement.
Interested and qualified candidates/organisations should:Click here to apply
Candidate/Organisation should submit a two-paged proposal that details the following below to:
- Your suitability for the position
- Your approach to delivering the consultancy requirements
- Your proposed timeframe
- Itemised budget, including professional fee and expenses such as travel costs
Locations: Abuja (with frequent travels to other states in Nigeria based on business needs), Nigeria
Type of role: Communications and fundraising
Start date: 1st July, 2019Job Responsibilities
Proposal Development & Strategic positioning is aligned to programme priorities:
- Work collaboratively with the program teams of VSO Nigeria and provide a good understanding of Donor guidelines, reading and unpacking the requirements of donor calls and supporting team to generate the ideas for proposal writing
- Rapidly pull together bid materials (proposal, presentation, concept outline) that bring a project or programme idea into a concrete, fundable proposition (including bringing out the Value for Money (VfM) arguments, responding to donor/partner key interests, & being technically compliant, to ensure sound concept in line with good development practice and feasible delivery-
- Provide bid development for Nigeria ( or as may be required multi-countries or regional calls and where VSO is a member of a consortia (as lead or sub)
- Facilitate diverse proposal bid teams (made up of country office staff, partners, volunteers, VSO technical experts from finance, M&E & fundraising, programme teams and external consultants as needed) to deliver highly competitive concept notes and full proposals for all funding sources (institutional donors, trusts, foundations, major donors, and the corporate sector) emphasis on large scale funding opportunities over £1M, complex and / or consortia applications
- Design and lead on proposal development workshops to bring together and validate consortia/bid team inputs
- Ensure legally binding teaming agreements are in place with consortia partners, and facilitate internal proposal risk assessment sign offs by senior leadership
- Ensure Value for Money arguments and Theories of Change and Cost Recovery are clearly articulated in all proposals
- Conduct session to share and digest feedback received from donors on report, proposals submitted so as to generate learning for CO team. Contribute to the development of signature packages for country offices as part of the prepositioning and bid development core functions Other
- 15-20% time expected for cross functional, professional growth pursuits (e.g. buddying with others to expand repertoire or increase exposure to areas of thematic or technical interest) that simultaneously provide needed increased capacity to ‘non-core JD’ initiatives.
- Provide report analysis on progress, learning, and recommendations, and to harmonize processes and support a global approach to right formatting, designing , making proposal more reader friendly and attractive
- Support capacity building and training of country office team and local partners on proposal development
Key Performance Indicators
- Number of good quality proposals in line with donor standards submitted in advance
- Quality/Success rate of proposals increases
- Bid teams work rapidly and effectively (monitored through feedback on process and outcome of submissions)
- Proposal are well articulated and reflecting country strategic programming
- Proposal packages are well articulated and completed on time drawing on national, regional and global flagship frameworks materials, as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated to degree level (Communication, International Development-related discipline)
- IT skills including fluency in Microsoft Office suite and database usage
- Experience of living and working internationally will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of any additional language Portuguese, French or other language desirable
- Ability to travel within Nigeria.
- Proven experience of preparing compelling, high quality documentation (concept notes, presentations, proposals, budgets, reports, logframes and results framework, Theories of Change etc.) for different donor audiences
- Proven track record in writing winning donor proposals for donors including USAID, UKAID (DFID), EC, CIDA and UN Agencies – excellent knowledge of donor proposal formats, logframes, result framework and budgeting
- Proven experience of evaluating proposals and providing high quality analytical, feedback to programmes
- Familiarity with M&E tools; theories of change, monitoring frameworks and basic evaluation techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills used in international settings – experience of leading and facilitating workshops and training
- Experience in developing and writing consortia proposals and teaming agreements as part of consortia bid development
- Strong administrative and organizational skills: ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Strong analytical and financial and skills
- Working together: Strength Successfully leads proposals activities and participates as a reliable and positive teammember in all working relationships
- Communicating & influencing: Adds Value Inspires others by advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO;
- Managing Knowledge: Adds Value Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge management skills
- Striving for excellence: Strength Contributes ideas to improve processes and approaches; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
- Managing Resources: Adds Value Organizes own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; seeks ways to generate and save money.
- Managing People: Adds Value Requests and follows up on appropriate support from others; raises concerns about uncooperative colleagues in an appropriate way.
- Developing People: Aware Offers constructive advice to others and provides ongoing coaching throughout the proposal development process
- Leading for the Future: Adds Value Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; suggests innovative projects.
- Thinking Strategically: Adds Value Advances strategic projects
- Delivering Results: Strength Adopts a goal-oriented, problem-solving team mentality and ensures timely, high quality results.
Interested and qualified candidates/organisations should:Click here to apply
Interview Date 28th May, 2019.