Job For Coordination Analyst at the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Coordination Analyst
Job ID: 23737
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – ADMINISTRATION
Agency: Resident Coordinator Office
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- With the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at its core, and in response to the General Assembly resolution 71/243 on the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system, the UN Secretary General’s report (December 2017) “Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: our promise for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet” puts forward a comprehensive proposal on further improvements to the resident coordinator system to ensure more coherent, accountable and effective support for the 2030 Agenda.
- This was further reinforced by General Assembly resolution 72/729 of 1 June 2018, which gave the Secretary-General the mandate to implement the repositioning.
- A reinvigorated resident coordinator system is at the centre of a repositioned United Nations development system, and while the system has been instrumental in driving coherence on the ground over the past four decades, it is now insufficiently robust to respond to the needs of the 2030 Agenda.
- The report stresses that resident coordinator offices will need to be adequately staffed to ensure sufficient substantive capacities to lead United Nations country teams.
- The core capacity will include expertise in coordination and strategic planning, economics, tailored policy support, results monitoring and evaluation, and strategic partnerships, plus a robust standing communications capacity within the United Nations country team, among others.
- This post is additional support based on the approved transition plan and country context to this new generation of resident coordinator office, with the new skillset and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda.
- The position is in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Nigeria based on approved transition plan and the country context.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Coordination Analyst supports harmonized business operations through the Business Operations Strategy (BoS), programmatic support for the five key functions at RCO including administrative support and will be responsible of the following duties:
Summary of Functions:
- Supports the coordination of Business Operations Strategy and development of business innovations
- Supports strategic planning and inter-agency programming coherence
- Supports preparation, implementation and reporting of RC/UNCT workplan ensuring conformity to organizational policies and procedures
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
- Lead liaison administration and operation support for new RCO structure.
Supports the coordination of Business Operations Strategy and development of business innovations:
- Facilitates effective guidance on the establishment of common services arrangements to participating organizations/agencies at the country level.
- Recommends new areas of efficiencies through pooling of UNCT assets on common services for RC/UNCT decisions
- Manage, follow up with UNCT members and OMT for data on operational expenditure to assist the RC/O track programme delivery and efficiency gains for Nigeria.
- In collaboration with UN Agencies and the Operations Management Team (OMT), directs substantive support to the RC/UNCT on business innovations and operationalization of the BOS for the UN in Nigeria;
- Provides support in formulating, implementing, monitoring and reporting on the UN Country Business Operations Strategy for Nigeria 2018-2022;
- Liaises with the Agencies and OMT in implementing common services including premises, and in establishing a common back office for location-dependent services;
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement and client-orientation in operational service delivery;
Supports strategic planning and inter-agency programming coherence:
- Supports implementation of recommendations/decisions by the RC/UNCT in relation to repositioning of the UN System in country, especially related to the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One, UNSDPF, Agenda 2030;
- Provide operational assistance to the RC/UNCT on the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the new generation CCA/UNDAF as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in country;
- Supports the implementation, monitoring, reporting of joint initiatives and programmes such as the Spotlight Initiative, the Human Security Trust Fund project and other similar joint collaborations in support of the achievement of the SDGs;
- Support the RCO structure in funding /resource mobilization for collective system support to 2003 Agenda in Nigeria.
Supports preparation, implementation and reporting of RC/UNCT workplan ensuring conformity to organizational policies and procedures:
- Preparation of proposals for funding and drafting of the RC Work Plan and reports.
- Technical support for UNCT Retreats to review the annual work plan and other UNCT meetings.
- Monitoring of the funding support to the Resident Coordinator System and other funds dedicated to RCO/UNCT activities.
- Participation in the work of theme groups organized around the UNDAF result areas/outcomes, including support for monitoring and evaluation within the context of the UNDAF Results Matrix, the UNDAF M&E Plan, UN INFO.
- support the liaison with relevant UN agencies on the use of the funds to the UN RC and UNCT, proposal of budget revisions, approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- support provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Supports organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Support the administrative function of the new RCO for the success of the UN reforms focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide inputs to formulate, develop and implement protocol policies, strategy goals, objectives and programs for the RC system and team.
- Assist in writing reports, minutes and publications.
- Provide administrative and research support for the RC system including preparing note verbal’s to Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Embassies to assist with visa applications, general enquiries, etc in close collaboration with UNDP and UN Agencies.
- Manage accurate record keeping within the RCO. These duties include ensuring that all files are current and up to date; schedules are easily accessible with continuous update.
- Other administrative duties include draft correspondence at the request of the Head of RCO;
- Type correspondence, speeches and policy papers with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Produce charts, tables and presentation materials as required;
- In line with team spirit, work on other special tasks assigned by the Head of RCO, where experience and skills are an asset and/or immediate shortage of personnel capabilities require so.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the RC/HC, Head of RCO or core staff .
- Support to plan, coordinate and execute high-level foreign and domestic visits/functions, ceremonies and special events hosted by the RC system including logistic coordination with UN agencies.
- Ensure full compliance of administrative activities with UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Advise on corporate travel and meetings by developing itineraries and agendas; scheduling and booking transportation; arranging lodging and meeting accommodations in close coordination with UNDP and other UN agencies;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Client Orientation
- Able to draft or edit correspondence, memos, briefing notes and other written outputs in English;
- Exercises sound judgement and discretion;
- Able to work independently and capably in a highly pressurized environment and under extreme deadlines;
- Able to multi-task and manage competing priorities;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with strong interpersonal skills;
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management (For UN Coordination)
- Building Strategic Partnerships (For UN Coordination)
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches (For UN Coordination)
- Resource Mobilization (For UN Coordination)
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing (For UN Coordination)
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise (For UNDP and UN Coordination)
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals (For UN Coordination)
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in the similar role with hands on strong programme and administrative skills.
- Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Project Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- Experience: 4 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in programme design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects including UNDAFs.
- Knowledge about the UN and RC systems including Delivering as One, UNDAFs, coordination support, and the UN Reforms.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Important Applicant Information/Notice
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Application Deadline 3rd June, 2019.