Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health/HIV (ASRH/HIV) Analyst Job at the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health/HIV (ASRH/HIV) Analyst – NOB
Job ID: 23753
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration: One Year (Renewable based on availability of funds and satisfactory performance).
- Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Deputy Representative, and the direct supervision of the Maternal and Reproductive Health Advisor, the National ProgrammeAnalyst will oversee UNFPA’s work in Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health/HIV.
- S/He will play a leading and active role as the focal person for the UNFPA ASRH and HIV Prevention programme in collaboration with relevant UN agencies and nationalcounterparts including the Federal Ministries/MDAs, National AIDS Control Agency (NACAs).
- The Programme Analyst substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of adolescent reproductive health and HIV with a strong emphasis on supporting the implementation of the UNFPA Adolescent and Youth Strategy.
- S/he analyzes and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to programme formulation, support implementation, monitoring, and evaluation within national development frameworks and the UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework.
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- In a global organization, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in ensuring technical oversight in support of national programmes aimed at improving Young People’s Health and Development in Nigeria as well as HIV prevention efforts.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
Providing strategic thinking, technical advice and innovative approaches to facilitating programme interventions and provide strategic support to achieve programme deliverables:
- Support innovative means to reach out to the larger youth and adult population, and MARPs, and facilitate evidence-based advocacy campaigns for making social investments in: (i) youth and youth participation in planning, designing and implementing policies and programmes at States and LGA levels; (ii) HIV prevention.
- Facilitate the development of programmes addressing young people’s rights to information and services and HIV prevention for young women and girls by mainstreaming access to youth friendly services.
- Provide technical expertise/support to guide the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes related to young people’s sexual and reproductive health in the context of the National Youth Policy, National Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Strategy, HIV Adolescent Strategy, and IMNCH Strategy amongst others.
- Support the scaling up of national ASRH services coverage with quality evidence-based youth friendly programmes taking into account community socio-cultural factors. Facilitate the involvement of all levels of society including the empowerment of young people to effectively participate in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of youth related interventions.
- Conduct and contribute to assessments of gaps in policy environment, policy implementation and programmatic responses. Review ASRH and Youth related policy and programme documents and provide recommendations to government counterparts and development partners to ensure multi-sectoral, gender-sensitive and evidence-based approaches for programmes related to young people;
Guiding the process of delivery of ASRHR technical assistance and engagement with partners:
- Facilitate training of youth networks (e.g. UNFPA youth participatory platform, Youth advisory groups, AfriYAN) and government institutions to strengthen their capacity to collect, analyze and utilize data for advocacy and planning purposes respectively. Provide technical and facilitation support to youth and government partners to ensure the development of National youth policies, including sectoral strategies and programmes.
- Support the CO to leverage funds for the ASRH/HIV/AIDS program and keep track of programme expenses and disbursements to ensure conformity with approved budgets vis-à-vis the levels of expected results
- Represent UNFPA in key ASRH/SRH and HIV/AIDS -related fora, including the H4, UN RH Theme Group, RH Technical Working Group (TWG), IMNCH TWG, RHCS TWG, and Country Coordinating Mechanism and ensure consistent feedback to other UNFPA program sectors on the outcomes and outputs of these mechanisms and processes.
- Lead in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts in the areas of ASRH and HIV prevention by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Support UNFPA’s role in UNCT joint programming for HIV prevention. Facilitate the convening of the Prevention Group of the UN-Joint Support Programme.
- Facilitate the development and Operationalization of national youth-friendly policies, strategies and programmes at national, states and community levels in close collaboration with National and state governments, UN Agencies, NGOs and other partners.
- Provide technical assistance for the integration of Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and HIV and AIDS into one comprehensive package at the national level. Guide and support the Operationalization of the package at national, state levels, LGAs and health facilities.
- Provide technical support for capacity building within government, civil society, NGOs, private sector, FBOs including addressing non-discriminatory staff attitude towards people living with HIV and young people. Facilitate capacity building to strengthen existing human resources and infrastructures for increased service delivery of youth friendly services.
- Contribute substantively to the harmonization and coordination of the activities of the various UN agencies in line with the UN reform, especially in relation to coordination of youth activities.
Manage Knowledge Management for the project:
- Continuously monitor ASRH related issues among young people in the country and provide data for decision making and target setting for ASRH programming among young people and vulnerable groups. In addition, provide substantive input into advocacy strategies taking into account political and social sensitivities. Advocate and advance UNFPA’s policy agenda by participating in public information events on young people
- Support the collection (including through operational research) of lessons learnt and best practices that enhance the effectiveness of ASRH interventions, disseminate to stakeholders, and advocate for scaling up of the national ASRH programme
- Follow up the progress of new adolescent and youth-related policies including the African Youth Charter, national development frameworks and strategy development and, prepare documents and data for policy dialogue, coordination of technical assistance and youth development programmes with special focus on ASRH promotion and STIs/HIV prevention.
- Participate actively in preparations of UN missions and joint UN workshops and seminars
- Undertake any other assignments as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in Medicine, Public Health or Social sciences
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in programme management in the public or private sector, preferably in the area of reproductive health. Experience in ASRH programming an added advantage.
- Be experienced in working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Good technical drafting and report/proposal writing skills and presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Computer skills: Proficiency in current office software applications
- Fluency in English required. Very strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English will be an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
UNFPA Work Environment
- UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th June, 2019.
- Please note that this Vacancy Announcement is Only for Nigerian Nationals.
- No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN staff regulations 4.5.
- UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process.
- Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline: http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm