Administrative Assistant Job at the World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Multiple Duty Stations within Nigeria)
Ref No: 1902657
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 12 Months
Objectives of the Programme
- To ensure that effective WHO Country presence is established to implement WHO Country Cooperation Strategies that are aligned with member States’ health agenda and harmonised with the United Nations country teams
Description of Duties
Under the overall supervision of the WR and direct supervision of the Operations Officer in close consultation with the State Coordinator, the Administrative Assistant ensures timely support to field operations especially payments and regular monthly reports in conformity with financial rules and regulations.
- Provide operational support for the day-to-day running of the State office in the areas of budget preparation and monitoring, financial transactions, transport planning, assets management, and office maintenance.
- Administer the E-Imprest. Ensure proper Implementation of financial procedures, systems and internal controls according to GSM instructions and WHO rules.
- Select and enter data from a variety of documents, ensure accuracy of calculations and attach necessary supporting invoices and receipts of payments and payment authorisation.
- Reconcile State office cashbooks and justify any difference in reconciliation; prepare cash counts to reconcile with the cashbooks on a monthly basis
- Facilitate other field based payments in support of Supplemental Immunisation and other activities and rendering accurate and timely reports
- Handle administrative arrangements for meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences
- Ensure timely procurement of, and payment for, required goods and services, maintenance of WHO goods and property as well as maintenance of up-dated inventory records
- Provides assistance to national and international staff and non-staff on all administrative and financial matters.
- Essential: Completion of Secondary education, preferably supplemented by a University degree in Accounting,Finance or related discipline.
- Desirable: Good knowledge of computerized accounting systems and budgets or ERPs
- Essential: At least 5 years’ experience commensurate with the duties of the posts and its grade in an international, public or private organization of repute.
- Desirable: Experience in working with bilateral or multilateral International Organizations in the country is an advantage.
- Excellent organization skills for managing multiple tasks at once; Strong ability to prioritize tasks; Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with counterparts; Needs advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Report writing skills, interpersonal skills and ability to confidently engage with wide range of stakeholders.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Application Closing Date
14th June, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.