Vacancy at BitPesa Nigeria
BitPesa is a pan-African platform redefining how businesses make payments to and from sub-Saharan Africa. Focused on using cutting-edge blockchain technology to increase efficiency across markets, BitPesa opens corridors for business payments and trade between Africa and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead, Financial Crime and Compliance Operations
Function: Legal & Compliance
- We’re looking for an experienced Financial Crime and AML expert, to bring our financial crime and AML operations up to speed. The right candidate should have a working knowledge of the cryptocurrency landscape and a passion for disruptive technology.
- You will play a key role in shaping and delivering the company’s risk appetite, automation, operations and controls around fraud and AML. You will be working at the edge of financial services, helping to define and drive innovation at the interface between the decentralised blockchain and conventional financial services.
- While maintaining the customer experience and interests as a core objective, you will be responsible for setting high standards of legal and regulatory compliance, across all customer onboarding, transaction monitoring and investigations activities. You will seek to advance and protect the reputation of the firm and maintain a good knowledge of latest industry developments in applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- The role is reporting into the Chief Risk Officer, however, we’re looking for someone driven and willing to take full ownership of the task at hand. We aspire to lead the way in building a world-class compliance offering at the forefront of a technological revolution. If you think you’re up to the challenge we’d love to hear from you.
- You will be leading the set-up of our FC/AML/KYC operation to ensure the business is compliant with current and prospective regulatory obligations.
- Building comprehensive risk guidelines and defining our risk appetite.
- Transaction monitoring, define scorecards for ongoing monitoring of fiat and crypto transactions. Identify and investigate potential fraud or financial crime risks
- Fraud, Chargeback and Dispute management
- Responsible for the setup and on-going review of SARs and SAR process.
- Working closely with the Product Managers to build a consumer platform integrating a highly intuitive and user-friendly KYC/AML solution.
- Monitor effectiveness of card processor fraud & AML authorisation
- To embed a comprehensive understanding of the Financial Crime risks associated with our business.
- Customer Due Diligence, design and enhance CDD and EDD processes to maintain high automation rates, fraud and AML scorecards for assessing and monitoring crypto portfolios
- Create, implement and oversee policies and procedures for combating Financial Crime that are easy to understand and follow.
- Ensure the business is compliant with relevant regulatory obligations and well positioned to deal with future changes in regulation
- Working closely with all other departments, third parties such as our partner bank, law enforcement, other financial institutions and financial crime prevention bodies
- Maintain a good knowledge of industry best practice across all areas of onboarding and financial crime. Thought Leadership / Best practice.
- Building strong relationships with third parties and institutions
- Showing though leadership and visibility in crypto compliance space, attending events and acting as an ambassador on behalf of the company.
- Working closely with the Operations Manager to ensure all staff are up to date with any needed compliance training.
- Updating management team through weekly report.
- Scaling the team and operations as the business grows.
- 5+ experience as MLRO or equivalent in a regulated company.
- ACAMS qualification.
- Experience in defining and implementing effective policies and procedures from scratch.
- Helped establish or seen a compliance function established.
- Understands the needs and dynamics of a start-up.
- Experience communicating with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong ability to communicate both written and verbally.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge of current and prospective regulation that impacts our business.
- Understanding of cryptocurrencies and smart contracts.
- Been through an authorization process.
- Able to break down and articulate complex technical ideas.
- Excellent ability managing projects and prioritizing effectively.
- Proactive and accountable.
- Possess acute attention to detail.
- Passionate about disruption and changing the status quo.
- Preference for finding automated solutions.
- Product-minded and care about the customer journey/user experience.
- Competitive remuneration
- Casual work environment
- Great work-life balance
- We value autonomy
- Environmental-friendly (we try to use as less paper as possible!)
- Opportunity for growth for all our employees …and more!
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online