Employment Opportunity at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (MM/Protection) – Maternity Replacement
SVN No.: CFCV2019_95
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (Protection)
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded (SSTUG) equivalent;
Maternity Replacement – Four (4) Months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016).
- In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”).
- Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
- This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (Migration Management) and Head of Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Protection Officer, the successful candidate will contribute for Migrant Protection and IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
- For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Reintegration in Nigeria, with special focus on strengthening labour migration management and Diaspora policy development; and other thematic project areas as required under the Migration Management Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in carrying out assessments of protection needs, identify problems/gaps and propose actions to respond to particular protection in close coordination with the Protection Officer;
- Support in implementing the plan of activities of the project(s) under direct coordination of the supervisor; support day to day activities and administrative processes; report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realisation of activities;
- Assist in drafting regular reports covering protection and assistance activities; contribute to the briefing preparation, statistical/narrative reports and background information as required including specific information requested by Governments and other entities in close coordination with the Protection Officer;
- Support the management of transit centres for migrants and sub-offices in coordination with the Protection Officer;
- Digitize and encode information into database and MiMOSA and prepare AVRR data for further processing.
- Assist in communicating with appropriate IOM units and field offices, including psychosocial assistance, countertrafficking et al;
- Assist in the coordination of inter-agency fora (e.g. protection cluster, child-protection sub-cluster, gender based violence sub-cluster, relevant task forces etc) and monitoring the protection needs of mobile populations as well as communities affected by mobility and their systematic reporting and solution;
- Support case-management process to individual cases of concern as well as referral and treatment (e.g. screening, interviewing, counselling, referral or assistance);
- Assist in implementing agreement and monitoring partners delivering protection services on behalf of IOM;
- Assist in communicating with appropriate units including psychosocial assistance, and counter-trafficking;
- Conduct field visits, as and when necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Work, Law, Humanitarian Affairs or other relevant Social Science fields;
- Minimum of four years (or two years of experience for candidates holding a first level university degree) in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience.
- Experience required, preferably in migration management, protection and/or Social Work or related areas.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, SharePoint, etc.
- Experience of supporting all aspects of project management and familiarity with international standards and EU regulations a plus.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
Wednesday, 14th August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2019_95 Lagos. Project Assistant (MM/Protection) – Maternity
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.