Join Malaria Consortium
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Management Information System (HMIS) Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department: Technical Length of contract: 2 years
Role type: National Grade: 8
Travel involved: In-country up to 50%
Reporting to: M&E Specialist Direct reports: None
Dotted Line Manager: Country Technical Coordinator
Country and Project Background
- The Nigeria Country Office with office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects. It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/elimination;
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea;
- Nutrition; and
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs).
- Malaria Consortium recently received a grant to implement SMC in three West African countries including Nigeria. In Nigeria, malaria consortium has decided to use the fund to continue SMC implementation in the 4 states it has been supporting since 2013 with UNITAID (Sokoto and Zamfara), DFID (Katsina and Jigawa) and BMSMC (Katsina) funds. Under this new funding and any anticipated additional funding, all malaria consortium SMC activities in county will be consolidated into a single project and managed by senior project manager who will report to the country programme manager. A Zonal Project Manager will head each of the states.
- The project relies on the HMIS data from health facilities in the intervention areas to demonstrate impact. However, the HMIS data as available on the DHIS2 platform have quality issues.
- The Health Management Information System (HMIS) Officer will support the SMoH to improve on quality of data generated and uploaded on the DHIS2 platform.
- S/he will assist and report to the M&E Specialist regarding using the HMIS data to evaluate SMC intervention in Nigeria.
Scope of Work:
- The incumbent will work as part of the project team under the M&E Specialist overall leadership of Country Technical Coordinator for the attainment of the project goal.
Key Working Relationships:
- The officer working under the line-management of the M&E Specialist and in close collaboration with SMC field staff (Cluster Supervisors and Field Officers), State, LGA, community actors, stakeholders and partners would deliver aspects of the project as per the specified job tasks and expected deliverables.
- The position holder will work closely with focal persons for SMoH HMIS and other partners working on HMIS in supported states
Key Accountabilities (percent of time spent on each area)
Technical contributions (90%):
- Assess the HMIS of each of supported states to identify data quality gaps and develop a quality improvement plan to address identified issues
- Support the selection of model health facilities to receive focused intervention and serve as model health facilities for impact analysis for SMC project
- Plan and implement HMIS activities such as data validation, Data Quality Assessment (DQA), coordination meetings, capacity building in data quality and coordinate supportive supervisory visit by MC field staff (Cluster Supervisors and Field Officers) to strengthen health management information system in SMC project-supported health facilities.
- Provide technical assistance to the NMEP/SMEP in the use and management of HMIS tools and DHIS2;
- Support the implementation of the HMIS at field level by leading on users’ capacity building and delivery of in-country training on a variety of HMIS topics and provide supportive supervision as a continuous learning opportunity for MC field staff and LGA stakeholders
- Ensure high quality data are available on a regular and timely basis for programmatic decision making through data validation and DQA processes
- Conduct a regular check of the completeness and timeliness of state and national malaria data in DHIS2 and flag areas of gap and follow up with the states and NMEP and support the states to incorporate corrections from DQA findings in the data on the DHIS2 platform;
- Manage the data collection and management processes from selected health facility HMIS records and DHIS2 platform monthly
Program Management (5%):
- Support NMEP and SMoH to ensure implementation of the data quality improvement plan
- Support NMEP in her efforts to create a repository for campaign data on DHIS2 platform
- Participate in events/ meetings related to HMIS at national level
- Actively participate in the M&E Community of Practice of MC.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Statistics, Demography, Mathematics or related discipline
- A minimum of 4 years post qualification
- Experience in managing HMIS as well as familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems
- Experience in DQA and data quality improvement approaches
Work-based Skills and Competencies
- A solid understanding of health systems strengthening
- Proficiency in database management especially DHIS; Excel, Word, PowerPoint and demonstrable experience with statistical software packages (Stata, SPSS, Epi Info)
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Proven writing, communication and presentation skills in English
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Facilitation and coordination skills
- The ideal candidate must be attentive to detail, highly organised, flexible and selfmotivated with excellent communication skills in written and oral communication
- He/she must clearly display the ability to effectively prioritise and perform tasks to meet tight deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken Hausa
LEVEL B – Take on work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills:
- Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work / responsibilities when needed to achieve results
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
- Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and use of information:
LEVEL B- Uses evidence to support work:
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL B – Fosters two-way communication:
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL B – Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL B – Manages own development and seeks opportunities:
- Manages own development and performance positively.
- Learns lessons from successes and failures.
- Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise.
LEVEL B – Remains professional under external pressure:
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remain constructive and positive under stress, able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes / mistakes
Living the values:
LEVEL B – Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers:
- Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
- Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
Level A – Manages own workload effectively:
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives
Application Closing Date
14th August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online