Mercy Corps Recent Job Opportunity
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00069
Program / Department Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Officer will provide direct Operational support to the field offices from time to time basing on the requirements and functions as below.
Essential Job Functions
- Have a full understanding of MC procurement policies and systems; and be able to provide training to staff on these policies, procedures, systems and best practices
- Assist in regular procurement planning meetings and program activity reviews.
- Conduct tendering processes for procurements requiring Open tender processes
- Maintain appropriate databases to track and manage running contracts under works, Consultancy and services within required threshold
- Vendors and contractors Prequalification for MC Nigeria for construction, and Consultancies ensuring that they meet the required MC Conditions and Legal standards
- Maintain a database of prequalified and contractors used by MC Nigeria
- Ensure proper filing of all logistics documents in all offices
- Train and support project staff in procurement matters
- Negotiates for best purchasing package (in terms of quality, price, term, delivery and service) with suppliers and sub-contractors assigned.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Handle all consultancy contracts, and processes and ensure that correct process is followed by requestor
- Ensure that correct documentation for procurement and contracts are completed and filed to MC standards.
- Regularly contract status reports using the PR Master lists and Contracts Database
- Support tendering processes as required, ensuring processes are transparent, provide value for money and are properly documented
- Work with compliance team to ensure contract terms are observed by contractors, constantly making follow ups and providing necessary amendments for contracts
- Ensure timely, and accurate payment processing and documentation of consultancy and works contract payments procurements
- Any Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Procurement Assistant
- Reports Directly To: Senior Procurement Officer
- Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations team.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Procurement Management, or any relevant business field.
- 2 years’ experience in Procurement, Logistics and Administration management required.
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Experience managing the development, implementation, administration, and compliance of US Government, ECHO/EC, UN, private foundation, and corporate grants, and related projects.
- Ability to communicate in English and Hausa, other relevant local Borno languages is an advantage.
- 2 years’ experience working in international relief and development in logistics and administration, staff supervision and development, training, team building, finance & administration, donor relations, and inter/intra – agency communications. This includes experience living and working overseas and working in remote conditions.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position