Receptionist Needed at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Receptionist
Job ID: 26126
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – RECEPTION
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative Associate, the Receptionist provides telephone communication and general reception and information services ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Receptionist promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
- The Receptionist works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations Teams staff and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provision of front-desk service and telephone communications services.
- Updating UN staff information
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensure the provision of front-desk service and telephone communication services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of all visitors to the office; assistance to visitors by providing directions and accurate information related to UN/UNDP.
- Operation and management of the telephone switchboard in accordance with appropriate protocol.
- Weekly check and test of all lines
- Maintenance of recording information in the system, solution of minor technical problems, and reporting to telephone service provider for regular maintenance and repair.
- Management and planning of the front desk coverage. Assistance in the preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the administrative services provided by UNDP to other agencies if requested.
- Ensure the most updated UN staff and other contacts information, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection and update of UN staff information on a monthly basis, ensuring all data and information is correct and accurate.
- Update of the UN House telephone list and UN Directory, Addresses of the Government, International Organizations, Embassies, and NGOs and other important contacts.
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO reception and telephone services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in provision of administrative services.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organising Multi-Tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- 3 years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online