Work at APM Terminals
At APM Terminals, we are a team of over 22,000 employees spread across more than 58countries and 5 continents united by a passion to provide our expertise in port operations and container management services. By providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an even stronger global community.
Working with a team of talented professionals you will get a chance to experience different cultures and make friends all over the world. You’ll find a culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices, terminals or depots. When you join APM terminals, the world is your workplace.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Operating Officer
Department: Terminal Operations/Engineering
We are looking for
- Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
- Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in terminals.
- Develops solutions to match business needs, leads the development of new ideas and organizes information to develop, compare and assess alternatives.
- Proven direct Operational experience in terminal operations or related industry.
- Detailed understanding of the various links with other functional areas.
- Proven track record and international experience managing complex systems.
- Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills on all levels. Union and Labour relational skills is required.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and promote a team environment to meet objectives.
- Experience in leading and delivering complex change initiatives in large scale operations.
- Must be able to adapt and execute functional or departmental business plans and contributes to the development of functional or departmental strategies.
- Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
- Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
- Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems.
- Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals Operating System
- Develops people – coaching and mentoring to build organizational capability, talent and bench strength.
- The incumbent is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
- The position will be responsible for setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
- Establishes and implements current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
- The incumbent is expected to improve the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis.
- Provides the leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and takes responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
- Leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
- Ensures operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
- Liaises with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
- Responsible for setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
- Ensures that the terminal adheres to APM Terminals Global standards on process and people development.
- Motivates, coaches and instructs all operational team members. Structures tasks and goals, establishes efficient courses of action, sets priorities, organises information, efficiently plans and executes daily tasks.
- Supports programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
- Liaise with labor unions (where applicable) and on behalf of APMT take part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions. Ensure industrial harmony with the workforce.
- Measure and report on operational performance and develop plans to improve relevant key performance indicators