Logistics Assistant (Food Quality & Safety) Recruitment at the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Assistant (Food Quality & Safety) G5
- These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Country Offices (COs) and Area/Field Offices. Job holders report to Logistics Officer, a Head of Unit, or the designate.
- At this level, job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services
- Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
- To implement well-defined standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Under the direct supervision of the Food Technology Officer in Abuja, Nigeria CO and in close collaboration with the colleagues at the supply chain unit (in Maiduguri and Kano the incumbent will be under the supervision of the warehouses manager and in reporting line to the Food Technology Officer in Abuja, Nigeria CO).
The Quality Control assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Monitor and inspect visually/ by using the appropriate devices the quality of the food commodities that received WFP’s warehouse;
- Prepare regular reports on the food quality and safety incidents at WFP’s and (cooperative partners) CP’s warehouses;
- To conduct regular visits to the supplier’s processing facilities/ warehouses (in Maiduguri/ Kano) to ensure compliance with WFP’s requirements for Food Safety and Quality Management Systems;
- Establish and maintain collaboration with local laboratories (in Maiduguri/ Kano) to support utilizing the laboratory’s capacities to carry out test methods for analysis of humanitarian food aid commodities and to identify the potential area to strengthen the capacities;
- Assisting on delivering the training courses on food quality and food safety topics to WFP staff, other stakeholders and food processors;
- Conduct regular quality audit for the WFP’s, CP’s warehouses and suppliers based on WFP standards and requirements in terms of checking aspects related to hygiene, good manufacturing practices and others standards.
- Monitoring the food quality and safety during storage in WFP’s warehouses and upon receiving.
- Monitoring the food quality aspects at WFP warehouses to ensure compliance with WFP’s manuals and best practices of food quality and safety on storage of Special Nutritious Foods and fortified commodities
- Monitor the fumigation practices at WFP’s warehouses and recommend improvements when applicable
- Assisting on following up of the shelf life of foods in warehouses, notify and communicate a report to take action accordingly.
- Prepare, update and circulate reports on food quality and safety incidents at the WFP’s and CP’s warehouses and propose the corrective and preventive actions.
- Follow up the reporting and monitoring the performance of the services providers of the inspection and testing services.
- Other activities as required
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Supply Chain Management and Optimization: Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
- Planning, Project & Resource Management: Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
- Information Management & Reporting: Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
- Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution: Ability to collect and collate necessary information to enable WFP to make informed operational decisions.
- Warehouse and Inventory Management: Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
- Technical Assistance and Coordination: Demonstrates awareness of the importance of technical assistance and coordination with key stakeholders and an ability to carry out logistics activities, respecting individual mandates and programme priorities.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- University Degree in Food Technology, Food Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, Food Science or relevant Degree
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Food Quality Management, preferably in medium-scale food processing enterprises in Nigeria
- Experience on best practices of storage of different food commodities include nutritious and fortified food;
- Knowledge of Food quality and safety aspects i.e. standards, conformity assessment, food testing, etc.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
- Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
- Experience analysing data (on commodities, funds, etc.) and drafting reports.
- Experience in measuring service providers’ performance against set KPIs.
- Experience in assisting the preparation of contract documentation.
- Experience in providing technical business support in corporate systems.
Application Closing Date
5th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package.