Finance & Administration Officer at the Population Council
The Population Council is an international, non-profit, non-governmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and to help achieve a humane, equitable and sustainable balance between people and resources.
The Council conducts biomedical, social science and public health research and helps build research capacities in developing countries in three major program areas – HIV&AIDS, Reproductive Health and Poverty, Gender, and Youth. The Population Council works in collaboration with a broad range of Nigerian institutions.
We are seeking professionals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance & Administration Officer
- This position provides support primarily to the Director of Finance & Administration, Abuja office, Nigeria in carrying out the day to day financial management of the CHRC in Rivers. This includes budgeting, financial reporting, professional documentation, tracking and monitoring of all projects implemented in the Rivers office; ensuring compliance to donor’s and Population Council’s Policies; keeping accurate financial records, professional documentation, timely liquidation, and controls Council’s assets.
- This position must confidentially handle all financial and program documents and seek guidance from the Director of Finance and Administration on matters relating to confidentiality of information.
- Provide support to the Senior Financial Accountant and Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) in managing the accurate and timely preparation of the office’s monthly expenditure report.
- Provide support to staff and partners on budget, finance and audit needs for seamless projects implementation and reporting.
- Document in a professional manner, all financial related activities of the office.
- Ensure timely payments to vendors and liquidation of advances.
- Provide daily update of the accounting software with all payments and receipts.
- Manage petty cash disbursement and reconciliation.
- Ensure compliance to donors and Population Council’s policies.
- Support the DFA to Represent the Council to local accounting firms, bankers, auditors, Rivers State Board of Internal Revenue and Federal Inland Revenue Service.
- Collaborate with the Abuja based Finance staff to ensure timely remittance of Rivers state staff PAYE and WHT; Update of staff records with the remittance and issuance of credit notes to the vendors for remitted WHT.
- Ensure daily preparation of vouchers for payment
- Provide financial support during all program activities; participants reimbursement and hotel bills reconciliation.
- Liaise with Admin/Logistics Unit in procurement; inventory, storage, update of asset register and ensure proper usage of procured items and other office assets.
- Supervise the project expediter and use of office vehicles, ensure proper usage of fuel coupon and vehicle logbook.
- Other work-related tasks assigned by Director of Finance and Administration and Project Manager towards the achievement of the strategic priorities of the Council.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Higher Diploma in Accountancy.
- Two years of working experience in the fields of Audit, Finance, Grants, Contracts and Accounts
- Professional Membership in ICAN, ACCA or ANAN.
- Computer Literacy in Micro soft office and accounting software.
- Proven interpersonal relation skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Positive attitude towards issues of development in general and reproductive health in particular.
- Ability to interact in cross- cultural setting with ease.
Application Closing Date
Thursday, 14th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in PDF format (stating their current salary and salary expectations) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Clearly state the position title for which you are applying and your full names – starting with the surname first, then other names in the subject area of the email. Example: Finance & Administration Officer (RIVERS) – BEN, Joshua Ekong”.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- The Population Council is an equal opportunity employer. Nigerian national preferred.