Hygiene Promotion Officer Wanted at Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender-Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invests in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Borno (Monguno with some possible travels to other project locations and Maiduguri)
Job Category Department / Sector: WaSH
Reporting to: Senior WaSH Officer
Start Date: January 2, 2020
- The Hygiene Promotion Officer is responsible for the implementation of the program activities in the whole area of responsibility.
- S/he coordinates and oversees the program field staff, provides updates to the Senior WaSH Officer, ensures timely and effective implementation of activities, including identification of financial, logistics and security needs in the deep field and sharing with his/her supervisor.
- Based on project documentation, develop and submit to the supervisor the monthly activity planning for the team from the specific deep-field location;
- Develop and submit to the supervisor the monthly staff movement planning and coordinate respective staff movement requests;
- Provide his/her supervisor with regular updates on procurement needs and supporting documents for the request to the Logistics Department;
- Develop and submit advance requests related to the activities in the specific location, and ensure timely clearance of advances;
- Monitor the security situation and report any security or safety-issues to the Security Department.
- Supervise and train hygiene promotion volunteer’s team;
- Help team members to identify their needs in capacity building and share with the supervisor;
- Ensure the volunteers acts in line with NCA internal policies, more specifically CoC;
- Participate on relevant evaluations and needs assessments;
- Understand and use the M&E Framework to collect relevant information on project implementation;
- Ensure regular data collection and transfer supporting documentation about implemented activities and results to the Senior WaSH Officer;
- Submit progress reports on a weekly basis;
- Contribute to timely and quality monthly reports;
- Communicate actively with partners and beneficiaries, support field level CRM.
Coordination and Representation:
- Plan weekly spending on HP activities and regularly inform the Supervisor;
- Understand and follow NCA internal procedures (e.g. HR, procurement, finance and security);
- Respect the Security Protocols;
- Where applicable: regularly update the Security Department on the security situation in the respective deep-field location and contribute actively to NCA’s “duty of care”;
- Monitor gaps and humanitarian needs of targeted population and update the Supervisor regularly;
- If requested, contribute to preparation and designing of project proposal for different donors in line with the management’s strategy.
- Ensure NCA’s representation and visibility in relevant deep-field location coordination structures;
- Ensure NCA’s role as an active humanitarian actor.
- B.Sc Degree in Public Health, Community Development, Social Sciences, Education, Communication and other related fields
- At least two-year experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations and specifically in displacement context.
- Practical experience on the use of participatory tools for promotion of sanitation and hygiene
- Must have good assessment, analytical, communication and planning skills.
- Training/counterpart development skills.
- Proficiency in English and mandatory practice of local languages spoken in Monguno LGA
- Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters
- Proficient in basic computer software, including MS Office suite Experience and professional training in water supply, sanitation and hygiene and related infrastructure development works with strong academic qualification in those areas.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook.
Application Closing Date
12:00 noon, 14th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Ensure to attach updated CV, Cover Letter in a single file
- Due to the Emergency situation in the Northeast Nigeria, applications will be processed on a rolling basis and Position could be filled before the expiration of advert.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- This position is open to Nigerian nationals only.