Work at the World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Consultant for the Review and Development of Domestic Resource Mobilization Strategy (DRM) to Enhance the National Response to HIV&AIDS in Nigeria
Ref No: 1905475
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 40 days
- The recent efforts to launch the Private sector HIV Trust Fund to boost private sector financing of the HIV response is another key necessity for an evidence based and fit-for-purpose resource mobilization strategy to be developed and implemented.
- Additionally, the sustainability of the HIV response requires mobilizing resources for each pillar of the response beyond health care service delivery to ensure that the coordination, data governance, social protection and community support are also covered.
- To this end NACA is seeking to engage one national and one international consultant to provide technical support to NACA and its key partners in the review and revision of National Domestic Resource Mobilization strategy.
- Then to subsequently articulate some of the key strategic thrusts of the National DRM Strategy into a succinct and implementable costed medium-term Strategic plan.
- To jointly facilitate the stakeholder meeting to dialogue and produce revised NDRM strategy
- To undertake Internal assessment of NACA current approaches to engage and fast track RM activities , ascertain how effective and efficient they have been and propose way forward
- To identify RM Capacity gaps at state and National levels and develop a capacity building plan to address these gaps
- To conduct civil society DRM Rapid assessment
- To provide TA Support to NEPWHAN and CISHAN on fund raising capacity development
Description of Duties
- The national consultant will work as part of a team with a core team of partners under NACA’s supervision and guidance; and some degree of technical collaboration with HIV Policy plus, WHO and UNAIDS.
- S/he will be under the day to day supervision of the Deputy Director/Head Government Resources Division and overall oversight of the Director Resource Mobilization, NACA.
- Lead the facilitation team for stakeholder workshop and to be on ground for the workshop
Key documents to be reviewed include:
- The HIV and AIDS Resource Mobilisation Strategy
- National Health Accounts
- NAIIS Document
- Key documents related to HIV and Health Financing in Nigeria
- Other key documents related to the Domestic Resourcing of HIV and Health
Jointly facilitate the National DRM review workshop
- Provide Technical support Assistance to NACA DRM Efforts
- Undertake an internal assessment of NACA current approaches to engage and fast track RM activities and ascertain how effective and efficient they have been and propose way forward
- Capacity building plan on DRM for National and Sub National levels
- Identify RM Capacity gaps at state and National levels and develop a capacity building plan to address these gaps
The national consultant will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Inception Report
- Report of the key outcomes from the stakeholder meeting to dialogue
- Revised DRM strategy based on workshop inputs (draft)
- NACA RM implementation Rapid appraisal report— Internal assessment of NACA current approaches to engage and fast track RM activities and how effective and efficient they have been and way forward
- Capacity building plan on DRM for National and Sub National levels
- Civil society DRM Rapid assessment report
- Report of TA Support provided to NEPWHAN and CISHAN on fund raising capacity development
- Debrief and end of assignment report
Methodology and Working Relations:
- To facilitate the Review and development of the National DRM Strategy NACA has establish a Technical work team to coordinate and facilitate the process.
- The technical work Team will assist the NACA in leading the National DRM review and development process and provide oversight for the development of the revised National DRM Strategy and costed strategic plan and the technical work team will provide technical inputs and local know-how.
- The national consultant under the guidance of the National DRM work Team in collaboration with the Head Government Resources Division and the Director of Resource Mobilization at NACA, the WHO and UNAIDS focal points.
- The consultancy team will establish working relationship with key stakeholders and country partners including the NACA, NASCP, and National Development Planning Ministry, the Joint UN Team on AIDS, National Experts, NiBUCAA, CCM and the Global Fund PRs, PEPFAR, CDC, USAID and their Implementing partners.
Qualification and Experience
- Advanced degree in Health financing, health economics, Business Finance or Marketing or fundraising etcetera.
- 10 years’ experience in Banking, financing, Fund raising, National Budgets and Finance, Management of financial entities, stockbroking, public health with bias in health economics or health financing
- Demonstrable results in attracting and/or warehousing of public sector funding for social development activities
- Proof of costing social development or health strategic plans at National or State level
- Excellent knowledge of HIV epidemic and response in Nigeria
- Demonstrated capacity to identify and resolve problems of coordination of multiple stakeholders
- Excellent negotiation, coordination and communication skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Excellent communication in oral and written English required
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link: http://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- *For WHO General Service staff who do not meet the minimum educational qualifications, please see e-Manual III.4.1, para 220.