Communication Officer at the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
Job Title: Communication Officer
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Office of the President
Division: Information and Communication
Line Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer, Information & Communication
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the PPO, Information and Communication, the Communication Officer shall structure, collect, process and disseminate information on Commission’s activities and programmes.
- Programme Assistants Multimedia
- Photographer & Cameraman
Role And Responsibilities
- Structure, collect, process and disseminate information on Commission’s activities;
- Assist in enhancing and promoting Commission’s projects, programmes activities and achievements;
- Assist for continuous improvement of internal and external communication of the Commission;
- Contribute to the definition, development and implementation of communication plans and strategies;
- Contribute for content and design of various publications
- Implement successfully public awareness campaigns on the organisation’s activities;
- Strong computer skills (Word, Power Point & Internet surfing);
- Draft speeches, communiques, press releases and reviews;
- Design and structure press kits;
- Design advertisements;
- Assist in drafting and designing the Commission’s information bulletin;
- Produce Regular updates for content of the Commission’s website;
- Provide continuous information to a dedicated network of regional and international media;
- Media coverage and support for communication related needs for meetings , press conferences, seminars etc;
- Assist in the coordination of interviews and media interaction’s for Commission’s management with local, regional and international press;
- Initiate partnerships and establish strong networks with regional and international media to increase visibility and raise awareness about Commission’s activities;
- Carry out any other assignment that may be assigned and regularly at short notice.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communication or related field from a recognized university.
- 5 years’ experience in journalism, communications and public relations;
- Knowledge in developing communication strategies and plans for internal and external communication;
- Ability to coordinate and manage complex communication campaigns and events;
- Ability to conceptualize and contribute to design communication campaigns that target and multicultural audiences;
- Proven knowledge of communication and the ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competences:
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instil a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means,;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
Application Closing Date
29th January, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)