Accountant at FHI 360
Job Title: Accountant
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: Senior Accountant
- Under the direction of the Senior Accountant, the Accountant shall assume responsibility for accounting in the Country Office and ensure compliance with the contractual financial requirements of programs/projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Senior Accountant to ensure the accurate keeping of all books of account for the project, including checking account, equipment and supply registers and all accounting records.
- Work with the Senior Accountant to lead the preparation of monthly and annual financial reports, including financial status of subprojects account activities with accompanying bank documentation and receipts.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in monitoring subproject budgets in accordance with approved work plan activities.
- Monitor periodic expenditures of projects by analyzing financial data and producing periodic and ad hoc reports.
- Work with the Senior Accountant to provide support with the accounting workflow in the review and audit of Country Office and subrecepient reports for reimbursement of expenditures.
- Function as support for processing cash advances, retirements, petty cash management and refunds made in favor of FHI.
- Prepare fiscal year budgets and enter them into FHI’s accounting software program.
- Support the Senior Accountant in preparing reports for submission to donors.
- Review work of zonal finance staff for accuracy and proper report content. Support in proposal development in collaboration with proposal team.
- Create, update, and maintain financial spreadsheets.
- Develop budgets, including staff time allocations
- Work with team leads to resolve problems associated with monthly expenditures and life-of projects budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.S/B.A Degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 3 – 5 years relevant experience
- Or MS/MA Degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 1 – 3 years relevant experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience in accounting related to international development programs.
- Familiarity with USAID-funded programs and non-governmental organizations in Nigeria is an advantage.
- CPA, ACA, ACCA or recognized equivalent is an advantage.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage.
- Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance
- Well-developed computer skills
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices
- Knowledge of general office practices and administrative procedures or the ability to comprehend them.
- Budget monitoring and general ledger skills
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software, database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems
- Report to supervisor on variances and status on regular basis.
- Follow-up on requests in an efficient manner
- Handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analyzing financial data.
- Ability to travel in Nigeria for minimum of 25%.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other Benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.