ACTED Recent Job Opportunity
Job Title: Field Officer
Location: Ngala, Borno
Contract length: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Level: D2-1 (national contract)
Start Date: ASAP
- In recognition of the urgent need for data in further areas of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, REACH intends to expand data collection in secure locations of Maiduguri, Monguno, Pulka, Mafa, Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Damasak, Rann, Banki, Gwoza, Mubi and Gujba in 2018-20
- Through an H2R assessment approach, REACH will provide regular, reliable indicative tracking of humanitarian needs over time, to support in prioritization and identification of “hot-spot” areas witnessing a deterioration of humanitarian needs
- To ensure this data is directly informing humanitarian response planning, data will be shared through formal coordination structures, such as OCHA, the Inter-Sector Working Group (ISWG), and relevant sectors, with feedback from partners used for both triangulations of gathered data as well as to inform research design and geographical targeting.
- In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTEDE/REACH has an Office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED/REACH is therefore looking for a Field Officer, Ngala to support its operations in the most affected states.
About the Job
- The REACH Field Officer will lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators
- They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
The REACH Field Officer shall be responsible for:
- Managing enumerators in teams of Data collection and quality;
- The REACH Field Officer will manage the data collection process.
- They will be responsible for ensuring the enumerators are following data collection procedures.
- Conducting monthly trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection
- Weekly reports to the Field Manager on concerns.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
- Focus group discussion facilitation and analysis.
- The REACH Field Officer will facilitate or co-facilitate focus group discussions in the IDP settlements and provide transcription, translation and qualitative analysis of the results as required.
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- The REACH Field Officer will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed. In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for enumerators and ensure their payments are processed.
- They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- Local Engagement and Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in a field-based position
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline (Social Science, Development) required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process
- Experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP settlements an asset
- Spoken fluency in English and Hausa required
- Strong written skills in English and Hausa required
- Ability to work independently.
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested candidates are invited to send a Cover Letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 page minimum) in English.
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer including that of the HR/Admin person. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered
- CV only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered (Re: Reach Field Officer Ngala)
- CV will be review on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.