Apply at Search for Common Ground (SFCG)
Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Location: Niger Delta
We are searching for…
- Search Nigeria is seeking a Safety and Security Officer who will be responsible for implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety and promoting its day to day management for Search in the Niger Delta.
- They will continuously assess the safety / security environment and devise risk reduction measures as needed in coordination with Safety and Security Manager (SSM).
- This full-time position is for 5 months initially, and subject to performance and funding availability may be extended for up to a year.
- The Safety and Security Officer will be based in our Delta or Bayelsa office with frequent travel to the field. S/he will report to the Safety and Security Manager and work closely with the Head of Offices (HOOs) of each region and the Admin/Procurement Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with SSM to ensure security strategies for Search Nigeria and that response are appropriate and aligned with regional and global priorities.
- Deliver oversight of security prevention, preparation, and response and recovery activities, particularly in their respective offices and to counter threats emerging from changing political, social and economic situations.
- Support in developing, reviewing and ensuring effective implementation of the Search Nigeria Security Management Plans, SOPs/Contingency Plans, including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff
- Ensure that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Search security policy, protocol and approach
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Support the SSM in planning and implementing risk mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence,
- Ensure that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Provide crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Be readily available at all times to the HOOs and field staff to advise on security developments.
- Maintain an updated Search staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- SSO will work closely with Search program staff to facilitate easy access to program location, conduct regular security risk assessment of Search program location and facilities
- The SSO will further assist the SSM in building up the capacity, awareness and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular trainings or briefings to staff and Search visitors within the area of responsibility
- Supervise and liaise on a daily basis with the contracted guards to ensure the guard force is trained and aware of Search SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Report, analyze and communicate current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Ensure compliance with the incident reporting system, prepare weekly reports for the Field offices and update data on available incident data tools.
- and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the information is shared in a timely manner.
- She/He will develop a wide web of relevant contacts of stakeholders to engage with positively to address access challenges, collate and disseminate relevant security information
- Attend security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security-related information with third-party security and risk management service providers.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or a related discipline
- 2-3 years of relevant experience at the national or international NGOs in safety and security functions
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Resident in Delta or Bayelsa state is an added advantage
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
- Competent and literate in the local language of North East/ Niger Delta Nigeria, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and working skills enjoys a multicultural work environment;
- Ability in Training and facilitation skill using different training media
- Ability to conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- I will contact only applicants invited for an interview. No phone calls, please.