United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is Recruiting
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Consultant – Health Systems Strengthening
Job Number: 527374
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
- Nigeria faces major public health challenges with high rates of maternal, newborn and child mortality and high rates of malnutrition in children. Each year in Nigeria over 7.5million babies are born, of whom about 300,000 die during their first month of life. Despite our gains for child survival whereby the under-five child mortality has decreased in the last decade, available data shows that the rate of decline is slow.
- The Government’s National Strategic Health Development Plan II outlines key priorities and targets towards fast tracking progress towards improved maternal and child health outcomes. There is commitment to achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC), but progress has been slow. There is need to focus on fast tracking efforts towards strengthening the primary health care platform and supporting the operationalization of the 1 ward 1 PHC strategy.
- Working closely with the Government at national and State level, over the last 15 months, an evidence-based system strengthening approach has been implemented in select States in the country. The approach has focused on using data for action, prioritizing actions and seeking localized solutions. There is a need to further focus on the high burden LGAs and wards and support select wards towards achieving functionality linked with the 1 ward 1 PHC strategy. While there are ongoing interventions focused on capacity building towards improving service delivery outcomes there is a need to support strengthening of management responsiveness at decentralized levels with a focus on outcome-based results and linking various interventions including at community level.
- The purpose of the assignment is to support the design and implementation of an integrated response linking the management and community action informed by data and focused towards strengthening the service delivery platform at facility and community level. This includes documenting best practices to inform programming and further scale up.
How can you make a difference?
Major Tasks to be accomplished:
- One report outlining the results of scoping missions to select States and selection of LGAs, wards and communities based on review of indicators and results and discussions with stakeholders
- Report documenting the processes undertaken per State, LGA, ward including the management reviews, integrated responses taken by management and linked with community action, tracking results and solutions (at least 2 States to be selected with a potential of supporting in another 3 States).
- Report outlining an analysis of trends for specific results by ward, LGA, State from baseline (before the management and community actions) and tracking the progress and results linked to the integrated action.
- Qualitative case studies completed for the selected ward including outlining key processes that worked, challenges and lessons learnt.
- Report providing insights into models of intervention for integrated action bringing together management and community levels
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- At least eight years or more experience working in programs for improving primary health care. Prior experience with community work linked with the primary health care is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to design projects and having experience with integrated management and community responses for results in primary health care.
- A Master’s degree in Management, Public Health, Health Promotion or related fields.
- Experience in working with the UN is an added advantage.
- Experience and an understanding of Nigeria and working with Government and key stakeholders is an added advantage.
- Experience in similar projects working on management responses for improving primary health care outcomes and community level work in different settings is an added advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
- View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2019. (GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Kindly note that this is a re-advertisement. Candidates who previously applied to the position do not need to re-apply as their application is still under review.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.