Project Manager Opening at the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or the World Health Organisation Africa Region (WHO – AFRO). Established in 2005, AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent.
We are recruiting suitable candidates for the National Stop Transmission of Polio (NSTOP) Program within the capacity below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Duration of contract: One year
Work Hours: Full time
Open to: All Interested Candidates
Slot: 2 Openings
- AFENET is implementing a project to improve use and quality of PHC data in Nigeria. The project aims to improve data quality, specifically accuracy, completeness and use, using a human centered behavioral science (HCD-BS).
- Planned activities are geared towards improving data quality and use under the hypothesis that completeness and accuracy of routine PHC data is affected by behavioral, technical and organizational factors. AFENET seeks the services of qualified culturally competent personnel to implement the project in six states in northern Nigeria.
Scope of work
- This is a full-time position to be stationed at the national office. One (1) Project manager will coordinate activities in three (3) states.
- The project managers will work closely with the Team Lead to achieve project objectives and follow up with their respective states to achieve project deliverables.
- S/he should have optimal knowledge of PHC operations in Nigeria, data management and analysis and conduct of operational research.
- S/he should possess adequate knowledge in health information management systems, ability to facilitate trainings with leadership and team management skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support in improving quality of RI data management in the country
- Ensure that data generated is properly managed and analyzed to facilitate data-driven decision Making
- Design data collection instruments and databases as needed
- Support NPHCDA to build capacity of RI personnel at all levels on data management through development of training modules and training of national, state and LGA personnel on data collection and electronic data entry, data analysis and feedback
- Provide support to state and LGA EPI staff to assure data is sufficiently of good quality
- Regularly analyze collected data and provide feedback to national, state and LGA EPI Team
- Follow up with EPI teams at state and LGA levels to ensure that quality data reporting is optimal on all electronic platforms
- Provide data for partner reports, donor reports and presentations
- Any other assignments that may be assigned by the immediate
Required Qualification/ Experience
- Master’s degree in Data Management, Epidemiology, Public Health or Statistics.
- Experience in Programming Languages such as Python, C++, PHP, .Net and other related languages.
- Experience in GIS Map analysis (ARC GIS, QGIS, Health Mapper)
- Experience with STATA, MathLab, SPSS, CSPRO, Epi Info, SAS and other statistical softwares
- Experience with web-based applications is desired.
- At least 2 years’ experience in data management, and or working with public health surveillance /monitoring and evaluation system
- Two years’ experience working with District Health Information System 2 (DHIS2)
- Experience working with primary health care systems in Nigeria at all levels
- Experience with adult teaching
- Language proficiency in English
- A good understanding the primary health care is a requirement
- Strong technical knowledge in public health, epidemiology, PHC systems, and data management
- Practical experience in the design and implementation of operational research
- Good leadership and management skills is required
- Ability to communicate clearly in English language orally and in writing
- A good understanding of public health, data compilation and management and data analysis at all levels
- Knowledge of all PHC data collection tools
- Possess advanced data management and analysis skills and proficiency with data management software (EPI-Info, Microsoft Excel, Access, SAS, SQL, or STATA)