Nutrition and Health Officers at Action Against Hunger Nigeria
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition and Health Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Slots: 2 Openings
Job Type: Full Time
Starting Date: As Soon as Possible
Direct Line Manager: Nutrition Deputy Program Manager
- To assist in the development and implementation of an appropriate nutrition-focused BCC and IYCF methodology.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Act as key nutrition technical lead for the project under the technical supervision of Nutrition Coordinator.
- Contribute to developing program strategy in health and nutrition in consultation with the program team and other stakeholders.
- Act as focal point in designing and implementing health and nutrition activities through behavior change communications and individual counselling/case management. Key nutrition focus areas will include but are not limited:
- Dietary diversity.
- IYCF practices.
- WASH practices.
- Exclusive breastfeeding.
- Provide technical support to the design, implementation and monitoring of intensive IYCF programming.
- Assess existing tools and methodology for the BCC and IYCF strategies, capitalizing on learning from WINNN and other nutrition-focused activities.
- In collaboration with LGA teams, plan sensitization activities for targeted communities with focus on traditional leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Build capacity, train and provide ongoing support to field level teams in carrying out BCC and IYCF activities with beneficiaries.
- Conduct regular technical monitoring of health and nutrition activities and document findings to inform improvements in program. Implementation.
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lessons learned and challenges with the management and partners to inform implementation
- Collaborate with health centers and other nutrition-focused stakeholders in order to successfully carry out program activities.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as the production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all health and nutrition activities in the state.
- Coordinate with health centers to carry out joint community mobilization activities around nutrition.
- Develop nutrition-related materials for staff and government officials and health workers based on identified needs.
- Contribute to development and/or adaptation of training materials for program staff and government officials.
- Assist in developing a strategy to ensure improved birth registration in health centres
- Assist in building the capacity and provide ongoing support to government workers in nutrition interventions
- Represent Action Against Hunger externally in relevant local and state-level forums and technical working groups.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Establish formal relationship with the partners as required.
- Represent Action Against Hunger externally in issues related to nutrition and health (consortia, alliances and clusters) at the local and state level.
- Participate in Abuja-based planning, training and sharing forums as appropriate.
- Assist in other tasks as determined by management team.
Internal & External Relationship
- Deputy Program Manager: Operational hierarchical relationship– exchange of information, reporting, collaboration, coordination.
- Field program team: Collaborate with team to ensure exchange of information, collaboration and coordination. In addition, oversee technical oversight, technical support, coaching
- Governmental and non-governmental partners: Exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options.
- Representatives of international aid organisations: Exchange of information.
- Representatives of donors: Exchange of information, technical discussions, project-related exchanges.
- Field activity reports as determined by manager.
- Donor reports and proposal input.
- Internal and external evaluation reports.
- Learning documents and case studies.
- Ad-hoc reports (assessments reports, newsletters, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Nursing or Health-related field. Higher-level Degree preferred.
Skills and Experience
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Excellent communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to translate evaluated results into learning strategies.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating donor (i.e. USAID, ECHO, DFID, CIDA) funded activities
- Skills on statistical and other software (MS Excel, SPSS, SPHINX, STATA, EPI Info, ENA for SMART, GIS, etc.)
- Fluency in Hausa and English.
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Experience in humanitarian PQA or M & E.
- Experience in designing and leading internal and external evaluation.
- Experience designing and leading capacity building and training for national teams.
- Familiarity with nutrition, healthcare and systems.
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values and policy
- Previous experience with food security and livelihoods programming.
- Previous experience managing cash based interventions (i.e. cash for work, cash transfers or cash vouchers).
- Previous experience with Action Against Hunger.
Minimum Basic Salary
- N236,585 per month.
Application Closing Date
14th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.