Safety Officer Wanted at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract type: National contract
- The Safety Officer serves as the focal person for staff safety and security during both everyday operations and emergencies. Supports the preparation of field travel authorisations and maintenance of staff information.
- Works within the safety procedures of DRC, municipal policies and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation.
- The safety Officer will support the Safety Team Leader and Area Manager in managing staff safety and security function for all operations conducted within the Borno state.
The Overall Purpose of the Role
- The role is responsible for supporting the day to day oversight of DRC staff movements and ensuring that key information relevant to staff safety and security is disseminated. Advisories, Alerts and Reports to disseminate to all staff. Administrative and Safety operational tasks that support the day to day running of the Safety Departments Operations.
- The Safety Officer will maintain a high level of contextual awareness and strong coordination with Program and Program support teams at the field level.
- The Safety Officer will report directly to the Safety Team Leader and assist in providing the Area Manager with Technical support from the Country Safety Coordinator and will be an integral part of DRC’s Safety Department.
Staff movement oversight and support:
- Travel Security Clearances: Prior to any movement complete all security briefings for staff travelling to high-risk field locations.
- Ensure that established movement tracking protocols are adhered to by both the Safety Unit and all DRC staff.
- Field movement tracking: Coordinate with logistics staff when directed to support Field level movement oversight and support.
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities
- Conduct site assessments and advise on mitigation measures, as required
Security incidents and data management:
- Draft and disseminate as required SMS alert advisories for DRC staff in the Safety Forum WhatsApp group when relevant and significant security incidents occur, or elevated threat levels are reported
- Draft and disseminate detailed Email advisories for DRC staff when relevant and significant security incidents occur, or elevated threat levels are reported.
Administrative and Operational support:
- Management of the guard force through ensuring standards of readiness is maintained, guard protocols adhered to and coordination with the guard force supervisors is routinely conducted. Ensure that guard payments and other administrative matters that have a direct impact on guard force readiness are completed in a timely manner. Ensuring that the contracted guard force maintains a high standard of guarding for all DRC offices and residences, and when required take corrective action in coordination with the Guard force management
- Maintain the Safety Departments current asset register and oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya and/or Iridium satellite phones and radio). Coordinate with the DRC Logistics and Procurement department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Departments current asset register.
- Responsible for compiling daily, weekly and monthly report for the Safety Department.
- Provide DRC staff with current contextual briefings on a daily basis.
Support to International Visitors:
- Compile a current visitor arrival packet as directed. Responsible for maintaining the international visitor orientation record.
- Conducting visitor briefings and orientation on DRC safety systems, and briefing on emergency procedures, and safe rooms etc.
- Carry out any additional responsibilities and tasks as assigned by the Country Safety Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to Humanitarian Work or Security Management
- Certificate in Basic Security Management (INSO)
- Certificate in Advanced Security Management (INSO)
- Certificate in Humanitarian Access Negotiation (INSO)
- Hostile Environment Individual Security Training (HEIST) Certificate (INSO)
- 4-years of working experience with INGOs and/or other international agencies
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player with excellent communication skills
- Proven commitment to accountability practices and strong IT skills
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with experience of safety and security.
- Knowledge of Hausa – an asset.
Salary and Conditions
- Availability: ASAP
- In accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment; The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
Application Closing Date
22nd January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Method / Notice
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied should be sent to the Recruiting Manager
- Applications sent / received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
- DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Only.