Work at Conflict Management – Peace-building at Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE)
Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE) is a registered Nigeria NGO (non-profit) organisation working on social justice and humanitarian response in both the southern and northern regions of Nigeria. GREENCOE is one of the outstanding and credible national NGO in Nigeria working on both development and humanitarian response programmes. Recently accredited by OCHA for applying for funding on the GSM and MYHRP- Project Model.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – Conflict Management / Peace-building
Maiduguri with frequent trip (daily) to project communities in MMC, Jere and Bama LGAs in Borno state
Employment Type: Fixed Term
Duration: 6 months with possibility of renewal
Start Date: As soon as possible, but not later than 20th Jan, 2020
Scope of the Role
- GREENCODE in partnership with an International NGO is implementing a project aimed at preventing extremism and counter-violence in Borno State. The project is implemented in 3 LGAs of Borno State.
- The project focuses to contribute to Increased Local Level Peace and Livelihoods Resilience in the 3 focal LGAs of Borno State.
- The Project Officer will take the overall responsibility for the implementation of the peacebuilding project in the assigned operational area working in close collaboration with the National Coordinator/Project Manager and the Project Coordinator in the partner organisation and enlarge project team (technical and finance) to enhance the quality of implementation of project activities.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Take lead in the implementation of field activity of the Trans Sahara Counter Terrorism Partnership (TSCTP) Project (aka- Hadinka Domin Zaman Lafiya – Unite for Peace project) in Borno State.
- Ensuring effective project management of the TSCTP peace project with responsibility for ensuring that project are set-up, managed and monitored in line with funding partner’s project management guidelines and procedures;
- Liaise with other stakeholders (including Borno state government ministries, ER/L sector, international organisations, civil society, community leaders, women/youth leaders) to ensure the effective delivery of project.
- Responsible for accurate financial management including: budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
- Deputise as required for the National Coordinator (Project Manager) attending meetings and represent GREENCODE at events.
- Conduct weekly conflict and violent extremism scans/situational briefs, analyzing the implications of the various peace, security, countering violent extremism (CVE) and de-radicalization related activities.
- Take lead in Peace Clubs formation, Awareness, cultural and sporting activities in project locations.
- Ensure that all necessary documents are collected in a timely manner, always vetted and submitted to the Finance unit and properly documented for donor and Auditor scrutiny.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the peace building & conflict sensitivity Project.
- Contribute to internal discussions on thematic issues particularly on peace building and conflict resolution
- Contribute to further develop and deepen understanding of peace building and conflict sensitivity thematic issues and approaches.
- Participate in sector project concept and proposal development based on the identified need
- Develop selection criteria for the beneficiaries of livelihood skills acquisition in 3 project LGAs
- Support planning, development and implementation of the peace building and conflict sensitivity project
- Carry out project beneficiary identification through a consultative community process
- Organize and facilitate dialogue meetings, workshops and forums with government representatives, civil society and communities in efforts to prevent violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to peace, security and conflict resolution
- Support partners to mainstream cross-cutting issues, among them, gender and youth and child protection in their initiatives
- Support capacity development of partners involved in project implementation through innovative capacity building approaches
- Arrange for regular meetings with partners to review and reflect on progress and results in order to identify, mitigate challenges and learn lessons for improved programme delivery
- Responsible for accurate narrative reporting against agreed objectives and results frameworks.
- Participate in and contribute to quarterly and other scheduled programme performance review meetings
- Ensure consistent communication, coordination and responsiveness with the GREENCODE National Coordinator and Donor/Partner’s focal points, project manager(s) and field staff/volunteers on the status of project and logistics activities.
- Regularly conduct security check of project locations, support the process of obtaining security passes/access for project locations and movement of personnel and goods/services to some locations.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree, in Peace and Conflict Studies or Conflict Studies course in addition to any other Social Science course at First Degree.
- Two years of professional experience in implementing similar projects in Northeast.
- Must be an indigene of Borno and fluent in speaking English, Kanuri and Hausa languages (Excellent English oral and written communication skills)
- Excellent level of computer literacy
- Experience in leading project implementation in an insecure and volatile locations.
- Excellent experience/skills in vetting, filling and documentation as well as negotiation.
- Experience of working with communities and managing team members, as well as excellent track record of transparency and accountability.
- Demonstrable knowledge as a result of study, training or practical experience on peace project management;
- Knowledge of the various donor’s interests, priorities and requirements;
- Solid knowledge of proposal and donor funding requirements and the ability to apply that knowledge in preparing project proposals
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills;
- Advanced negotiating skills;
- Proven strategic relationship management skills;
- Conceptual and analytical skills;
- Excellent people skills; team builder;
- Planning and monitoring
- Coaching, mentoring, training and facilitation skills;
- High level of computer proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to manage senior colleagues.
- Strong focus on results.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an enthusiasm for writing.
- Good sense of humor.
- Experienced traveler
- Fluency in both English with Hausa/Kanuri languages as an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
5pm; 17th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and completed Competency Form (request for the competency form for the position you are interested in/qualified for via the email below), the 2 documents should be forwarded to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com
- The title of the position for example- Project Officer must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The position is valid for the duration stated, we don’t pay relocation allowance or provide house for field staff. Only applicant that adhere to the full instruction in this advert will be attended to.
- Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis.