Work at ActionAid (AA) Nigeria
ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer (SARVE II Project)
Reporting to: Communications Coordinator / Programmes Coordinator (SARVE II)
Line Management: None
- The Communications Officer will support the “System and Structure Strengthening Approach against Radicalization to Violent Extremism (SARVE II) Project in Kogi and Nasarawa States” in line with ActionAid Nigeria’s (AAN’s) Communication Strategy; community relations and publicity to influence and inform the project’s stakeholders, beneficiaries, Staff, Partners and Donor in line with the project’s objectives
- S/he will also liaise with the Communications Coordinator to provide support on the different thematic functions at ActionAid Nigeria on publications, publicity & press relations to drive the advocacy arm of AAN.
- Facilitate and ensure delivery of communications requests from SARVE II project within specified timeline
- Develop and implement innovative and effective communication and media strategies for the project
- Support other AAN communications strategies for all initiatives including fundraising
- Responsible for quality assurance of documentation and publishing of all SARVE II and other AAN manuals and publications.
- Support in building the capacity of AAN Staff and its partners in understanding, documentation and communication of AAN’s thematic areas.
- Support the development and strengthening of partnerships among partners, government departments and NGOs for effective collaboration and co-ordination on strategic national and global concerns.
- Support content development for AAN policy influencing, website and other social media platform.
- Oversee production of digital and multimedia communications content to promote AAN’s brand, particularly the SARVE II project.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by Line Manager.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: AAN Staff
- External: The Media, Relevant Government Agencies, Donor Community, Partners, INGO Community and other stakeholders.
- First Degree in Communications, Socials Sciences or Arts / Humanities
- Membership of NUJ, APCON and other relevant professional bodies Experience
- At least 3 years work experience 2 of which should be in communication field in the development sector
- Website development and digital communications experience
- Capacity building experience including training and facilitating
- Experience working with the media
- Familiarity with popular media sector and previous relationship with same.
- Online i.e. website management and digital communications
- Understanding of the role of advocacy work and communication in development.
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to provide practical solutions within set deadlines.
- Good computer skills especially in the use of publishing tools
- Multi-tasking skills
- Public Speaking skills
- Excellent planning and prioritisation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- A self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission, values and objectives.
Application Closing Date
5th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download, complete the Application Form below and send it together with their Applications in an MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the Job Title and location e.g Communications Officer (SARVE II Project) – Abuja as the subject of the mail.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.