Work at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Requisition ID: req8219
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The EH WASH Hygiene Promotion Assistant will be based in Mubi and report to the EH Officer – Hygiene Promotion.
- S/he will be primarily responsible for supervising the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at village level as directed by the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Hygiene promotion in implementing hygiene promotion activities in the communities. This includes training of Community Hygiene promoters, establishing and training WASH committees, community hygiene clubs, ensuring water quality and directly carrying out hygiene awareness in the communities.
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning.
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field locations.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet agreed objectives within the timeframe.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters and train hygiene promoters on their appropriate use.
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters, community volunteers, community leaders, community hygiene clubs and WASH committees.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials and detailed NFI distribution records.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Assist the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion to identify, train and support Community hygiene promoters, WASH committee members and community health club members.
- Supervise and manage community Hygiene promoters.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget.
- Responsible for community hygiene promoter’s weekly reports, time-sheets and weekly work plans.
- Participate in daily monitoring and recording of Hygiene promotion activities including house hold visits, Group Hygiene sessions, Mass Hygiene awareness campaigns, NFI distributions, Menstrual Hygiene Management and other Hygiene related activities.
- Participate in Monthly HH surveys and KAP surveys depending on need.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion, and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor for the development IRC programs
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Hygiene Promotion Officer
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: EH Manager
- Position directly Supervises: Nil
- Minimum of a B.Sc in Social Sciences, Public Health, Environmental Health / Science / Management, Biological Science or other related courses.
- 1 – 2 years’ Experience in implementation of hygiene promotion activities.
- Experience in establishment and training of Hygiene Promoters, WASH committees and School hygiene Clubs with ability to carry out water quality analysis.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Good communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with community members and leaders.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Languages: English, Hausa
- Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word and Excel, Outlook
- Ability to Travel: Not applicable
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions.
- We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online