Administrative & Logistics Assistant at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative & Logistics Assistant
Job ID: 28945
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Logistics
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The situation in Nigeria remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA’s global mission, OCHA Nigeria continues to:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of information to humanitarian partners, and negotiation of access.
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in relocation of internally displaced and return.
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Nigeria with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, with focus on strengthening the cluster approach.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Informed and transport decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide overall protocol, logistics and administration support services
- Administration and execute processes and transactions
- Support to logistics and facilities management processes
- Support to management of driver and maintenance of vehicles
Under the direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Day-to-day support and coordination for all procurement arrangements with local service providers& ensure that common service agreements (cleaning, security, vehicle maintenance etc) are properly implement and services are to the standards required.
- Close follow up on all issues related to staff travel (domestic & international), flight bookings and security clearances.
- Prepare transportation plan, mission operational plan (MOP), security clearances, and cooperate with UNDSS and OCHA security focal point for all field mission/staff travels.
- Checking, verifying and certifying of vehicle daily log matching with fuel consumption
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accident, damage, loss or theft of items. Update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Manage the office transport fleet & drivers and ensure that all vehicles are properly maintained with provision of adequate stock of spare parts and, MOSS compliant and road worthy
- Ensure that office inventory database is updated on regular basis and that both the financial and physical status of all office Non-Expendable Properties is regularly reported.
- Provide routine Administrative & logistical support to the all units/staff on all matters related to general office administration, transport, protocol/visas applications, duty free privileges & custom clearances for office goods and for staff personal effects
- Plan and organize office events including retreats, meetings and other events and ensure that all participants are informed in advance and that the necessary logistics is in place including booking of venues, hotels etc.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space and other administrative matters.
- Organization of shipment, customs clearance arrangement, preparation of documents for OCHA shipments and all related necessary documentation, implementation and follow-up actions.
- Custodian for management of office stationary suppliers including maintenance of stick list of stationary, distribution of stationary as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution
- Maintenance of office premises and common services to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Performing Travel Administrator / Requisitioner role in OCHA ERP system “Umoja” for the preparation of travel/purchase orders and other administrative functions.
- Prepare the Travel Authorizations when necessary. Analyze and calculate DSA/other travel entitlements, provide travel arrangement for the field staff.
- Maintenance of records on assets management
- Sound contribution to knowledge network and communities of practice.
- Any other administrative duties as assigned by the office/supervisor
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking operations management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a broad range of activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning, including dealing with multiple and routine tasks
- Ability to provide efficient and quality administrative/log works;
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education is required.
- Certification in Administration, University Degree in Business or Public Administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Up to 5 years of relevant professional experience in business, public administration, logistics, programme support service or other related area is required.
- Good knowledge on Administration/Operations is required.
- Experience working with the UN or other international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in using UN ERP system (Umoja) in the area of travel and procurement is highly desirable.
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Word, Excel/Spread sheets, the internet/Web) is required.
- Fluency in English language and national language of the duty station.