Project Technical Advisor Wanted at FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Technical Advisor
Requisition – 2020200374
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
Supervisor: Country Director
- The upcoming opportunity is a Centres for Disease Control (CDC) Funded Strengthening Global Health Security by implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR) (2005) and the Global Health Security Agenda in Nigeria.
- The award aims to strengthen the capacity of the Nigerian health system to monitor and mitigate recurring infectious disease outbreaks, detect and control emerging infectious diseases and improve surveillance and response systems.
- The award also aims to support Nigeria to attain the goal of the National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS), a 5-year strategic plan that was developed in 2019 by the Federal Ministry of Health in collaboration with relevant MDAs such as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
- The plan is based on the principles of ‘One Health’ and seeks to strengthen International Health Regulations core capacities based on gaps identified by the WHO Joint External Evaluation and other health security assessments conducted in Nigeria.
- The Project Technical Advisor will provide leadership, ensure the quality of project deliverables and oversee all administrative, technical , financial and management aspects of an anticipated CDC Global Health Security (GHS) Grant in Nigeria that has the general objective to improve prevention of avoidable epidemics including naturally occurring outbreaks and intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens, to improve ability to rapidly detect threats early, including detecting, characterizing, and to report emerging biological threats by responding rapidly and effectively to public health threats of international concern.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the management, finance, contracts and grants, security, legal, and human resources that support the project.
- Ensure that project management is compliant with FHI 360 and CDC policies and procedures.
- Interacts with other sectors and relevant departments to integrate and manage work plans, budgets, and multi-sector interventions. Implements evidence-based interventions in one or more multi-sector areas, as well as new technologies and practices.
- Provide technical direction and external engagement of the project.
- Coordinates a matrix management approach to capacity building, support, and oversight of technical and functional staff and ensure their training on operational procedures to achieve the project strategic goals.
- Provides operational support to the project country team, skills, and resources to ensure the quality of the project deliverables.
- Develop and monitor workplans, reports and budget to achieve project and goals.
- Establish, serve and maintain partnerships with internal and external stakeholders on project matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MBBS / PhD in at least one of the following fields: Knowledge / Information Services, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life / Social Science / Diagnostics with 5 – 7 years’ experience in Global Health Security related program.
- Or MSc / MS in at least one of the following fields: Knowledge / Information Services, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life / Social Science / Diagnostics with 7 – 9 years’ experience in Global Health Security related program.
- Or Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent on Knowledge / Information Services, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life / Social Science / Diagnostics with 9 – 11 years’ experience in Global Health Security related program.
- Demonstrated minimum of 5 years-experience in diagnostics / surveillance Epidemiology / AMR / One Health implementation.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Experience managing USG grants including CDC grants.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that span multiple countries.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and execution.
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to strategize, plan, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to build positive working relationships with the various stakeholders’ communities, government officials and other multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO) and in a resource limited context.
- Exercise judgment to meet strategic business goals and develop objectives and plans that align with and ensure achievement of organizational goals.
- Ability to build teams, recognize, acquire and retain talents.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
- Minimum of 25 % international travel.
Application Closing Date
6th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online