Consultant – Vegetable Farm at ActionAid Nigeria (AAN)
Action Health Incorporated (AHI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for young people’s successful transition to a healthy and productive adulthood. We envision a world where every young person can reach their full potential. We work with young people, community leaders, government agencies, the private sector and other stakeholders to ensure that policies and programmes are emplaced to accomplish this goal.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates / consultants to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant for the Set Up of Vegetable Farm for Vine Heritage Home (VHH)
Contract: Short Term
Background / Overview
- At ActionAid Nigeria (AAN), we work within poor and excluded communities to promote the respect for the human rights of all. Our work extends beyond the people in these communities to relevant authorities with a view to empowering the people to take necessary action to end poverty and social injustice.
- Vine Heritage Home (VHH) started rescuing infants at risk of deliberate killings in area councils throughout the FCT in 2004 and has as one of its burden the delivery of quality nutrition to its 157 children. Experts have stressed the need for quality nutrition in building the resilience of children hence the need to provide the children of VHH with fresh eggs, meat and vegetables on a sustainable basis
- ActionAid Nigeria will therefore need the services of a consultant with considerable experience in setting up, managing and training others on how to set up and run a farm as a business.
- Hence, ActionAid Nigeria is engaging the services of a consultant to set up a vegetable farm for Vine Heritage Home.
- Lead the set-up of up of a Vegetable farm and support the setup of a poultry and fish farm
- Support the proper siting of various farm facilities to ensure that they derive benefits from each other
- Support the purchase of quality farm inputs
- Establish a business model for the VHH farm and ensure its viability
- Support the training of VHH staff on farm management in general and Agronomy in particular
- Work closely with other consultants and project staff to ensure that success of the farm
- The consultant is expected to setup the farm and provide mentorship for 24months starting from April 2020.
Ownership of Outputs:
- Outputs of this contract as stipulated in the terms of reference belong to ActionAid Nigeria and ActionAid International.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- The farm will be situated at Vine Heritage Home, Kiyi, Kuje area Council of the FCT. The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN,
- S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment except where otherwise stated and will work closely with the Programme Advisor on Infanticide at ActionAid Nigeria and the Head of Operations at the VHH who will provide technical oversight and give confirmation of satisfactory execution of the task.
- The consultant will work closely with the Programme Advisor on Infanticide at ActionAid Nigeria and the Head of Operations at the VHH who will provide technical oversight and give confirmation of satisfactory execution of the task.
Qualifications and Criteria For Selection
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy / related field.
- Proven experience in setting up vegetable gardens within a larger farm setting
- Knowledge of general farm management
- Ability to train and mentor
- Experience in carrying out similar assignment is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
14th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates / consultants should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) or Applications to: Procurement.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the subject line “Farm Business Set Up/Sustainability for MATAI Project in FCT”.
Interested consultants are to send applications addressing all requirements as relates to the role and requirements provide below:
- The documents must be attached in one single MS Word document;
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- All necessary degrees and certification necessary and as mentioned above
- Business proposal containing cost estimates for start-up a vegetable farm that can provide nutritional needs for 200 persons;
- Any proof of undertaking a similar assignment.
Important Information / Notice
- The selected Consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task.
- Only a flat fee will be paid. Daily rate does not apply.) Failure to follow the directions above will lead to the disqualification of your application.