Apply at Women for Women International (WfWI)
Women for Women International (WfWI) – In countries affected by conflict and war, Women for Women International (WfWI) supports the most marginalized women to earn and save money, improve health and well-being, influence decisions in their home and community, and connect to networks for support. By utilizing skills, knowledge and resources, she is able to create sustainable change for herself, her family, and community.
Since 1993, WfWI has served over 500,000 women in 8 conflict-affected countries, including Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Kosovo, Nigeria, Rwanda and South Sudan. Since 2002, we have worked with over 20,000 men worldwide to support women’s rights and gender equality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Reports to: Program Coordinator
- The Advocacy Officer will play a central role in supporting Change Agents and coordinating community and national advocacy efforts. The successful candidate must be one who understands, experienced in advocacy, and who is highly organized.
- This position will be located in Bauchi State, reports to the Program Coordinator and dotted line supervision to the Advocacy Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Change Agent Program Implementation and Support:
- Adapt the Change Agent curriculum to the local context.
- Work with Change Agents to develop ‘work plans’ for their advocacy efforts and provide frameworks to support planning and monitoring advocacy activities.
- Support the Advocacy Coordinator to manage the annual meeting with Change Agents which will be to support peer-to-peer learning, and for organizational review and learning of the program.
- Assist in working with NGO partners to ensure that there are opportunities for Change Agents to become involved in the planning of joint-advocacy strategies.
Joint-Advocacy in Communities:
- Assist in managing the relationship with NGOs to support advocacy activities that seek to affect change at the community level.
- Assist in ensuring that WfWI participants/graduates are consulted in the development of plans in line with the progress of grants.
Joint-Advocacy with National NGOs/Partners:
- Assist in coordinating consultations with WfWI participants/graduates and national partners to ensure that advocacy objectives are more sensitive/inclusive to the needs of marginalized women.
Inform Key Influencers And Local Donors:
- Assist to map out and build connections with influencers and foreign officials to identify targets for WfWI to build relationships with and also develop a baseline of statements that relate to VAW and WEE by these individuals.
- Assist to monitor targets’ statements on VAW and WEE to measure change.
Other Duties as Assigned
- University Degree in the Social Sciences plus minimum of a year’s experience in one of the following sectors: social services, education (preferably with adults), psychology, community development, and/or women’s issues.
- Three (3) years of professional experience; preferably working with an NGO.
- Knowledge of relevant human rights laws
- Experience working on community development issues.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise, paying attention to details.
- Established competence in negotiation and influence.
- Strong interpersonal skills to ensure effective communication with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in MS Office Applications.
- Demonstrated commitment to ending violence against women.
- Demonstrated experience working with NGOs, particularly international NGOs, is highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in organizing training and working with community and traditional leaders.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skill
- Required oral and written communication skills in English as well as oral fluency in Hausa language.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter and 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please specify “Advocacy Officer” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 25th March, 2020.
Note: Only short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. No telephone inquiries please.