H2R Field Assistant at ACTED
ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects, and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: H2R Field Assistant
- REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
- The crisis in North-East Nigeria is now in its 10th year, with 1.88 million people displaced across the three states of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa. Borno state hosts the largest proportion of these (1.4 million people). In Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States, Kukawa, Monguno, Mafa, Dikwa, Bama, Gwoza, Damboa, Gujba, Tarmwa, Maiha, Nusman, Song, Yola South and Fufore LGAs have all seen significant increases in the number of IDPs in accessible areas who are primarily originating from Hard to Reach (H2R) areas. While there is a considerable amount of information related to the needs and conditions of IDPs (as well as returnees and non-displaced populations, thanks in part to the ongoing efforts of REACH) in these accessible areas, despite the availability of information sources – the recently displaced populations themselves – there is an evident lack of information on populations remaining in H2R areas.
- UNOCHA estimates that 820,000 individuals remain isolated in areas inaccessible to the humanitarian response and with limited access to basic services such as health care and education. Specific conditions and needs of the population in hard to reach settlements remain unknown, and population figures, well as demographic composition and status (non-displaced, IDP, returnee), are formulated with little actual knowledge of the situation.
- In recognition of the urgent need for data in further areas of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, REACH intends to expand data collection in secure locations of Maiduguri, Monguno, Pulka, Mafa, Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Damasak, Rann, Banki, Gwoza, Mubi and Gujba in 2018-20. Through an H2R assessment approach, REACH will provide regular, reliable indicative tracking of humanitarian needs over time, to support in prioritization and identification of “hot-spot” areas witnessing a deterioration of humanitarian needs. To ensure this data is directly informing humanitarian response planning, data will be shared through formal coordination structures, such as OCHA, the Inter-Sector Working Group (ISWG), and relevant sectors, with feedback from partners used for both triangulations of gathered data as well as to inform research design and geographical targeting.
- Considering the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED/REACH has an Office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED/REACH is therefore looking for a REACH Field Assistant, Maiduguri to support its operations in the most affected states.
About the job
- The REACH Field Assistant will lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators. They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
The H2R Field Assistant shall be responsible for:
- Cover remote data collection and quality assurance
- Local Engagement
- Managing enumeration teams
- Cover other field locations and in-person data collection when needed
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
Managing enumeration teams:
- The H2R Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection but also lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals when needed and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators.
- They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
Data collection and quality:
- The H2R Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection over the phone Depending on the needs they will also cover in-person data collection in various field locations.
- During remote date collection they are responsible for maintaining a good relation to local guides and other stakeholders in the field. In case of in-person data collection they are responsible for ensuring the enumerators are following data collection procedures, conducting monthly trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection or quality to the Field Manager.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
- The H2R Field Assistant will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed.
- In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for enumerators and ensure their payments are processed.
- They will in addition ensure proper documentation of working hours for local guides and that their payments are processed.
- They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- The H2R Field Assistant will seek to build positive relations with local governments, partners, and other parties.
- They will follow guidelines from the Field Manager and report challenges to the Senior Field Officer and the Field Manager.
- The H2R Field Assistant will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in a field-based position
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process
- Experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP settlements an asset
- Spoken fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa required
- Strong written skills in English, Kanuri and Hausa require
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to cover other locations when needed
- Contract length: 6 months, with possibility of extension
- Level: E1-1 (national contract)
- Start date: ASAP
Application Closing Date
13th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 page minimum) in English.
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer including that of the HR/Admin person. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applicants who can perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV’s – only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered (Re: H2R FIELD ASSISTANT)
- CVs will be review on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- ACTED considers all applicants since merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.