Registered Nurse at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Registered Nurse (Employee of the Mission-All / or USEFMs, EFMs, or MOHs)
Announcement Number: Abuja – 2019 – 066RA
Series/Grade: FP – 0510 5
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: FP-5
Telework Eligible: No
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Appointment Type: Permanent
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- Basic Function of the Position – Basic Function of the Position – The incumbent serves as the post’s nurse with responsibilities that include the medical care of Mission employees and eligible family members under MED approved clinical guidelines, as well as maintenance and inventory of all medical equipment and supplies.
- S/he implements a robust vaccination program, administration of group and individual health education programs, and medical emergency contingency planning for the Mission.
- S/he works in the Medical Unit under the direct supervision of the Regional Medical Officer (RMO) or Medical Provider (MP).
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Two (2) years of post-qualification work as a professional nurse is required.
- Job Knowledge: Must possesses critical-thinking skills and comprehends MED’s policies and procedures regarding medical evacuations, hospitalizations, and insurance reimbursement methodology, as well as current knowledge of local and regional medical services that can provide care for all acuity levels, including vetted specialists and hospitals.
- Good working knowledge of MED’s RN Clinical Practice Guidelines as well as familiarity with American Nursing Standards of Care are required.
- Degree (RN Level) in Nursing or Diploma/Certificate equivalent from an accredited School of Nursing with a valid nursing license or a current unrestricted Registered Nursing license from Nigeria, country of origin, or the U.S.
- This may be tested. Please your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Language: Good working knowledge in English is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Basic computer skills, with proficiency in the use of Microsoft word is required.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a client-oriented disposition capable of dealing with complexity interactive challenges in difficult and emotional situations.
Equal Employment Opportunity (Eeo):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FS is 05/1. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or Declared Members of Household (MOHs) – All Agencies.
- USD $47,148 per annum
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree with transcript
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- For More Info: HR Section, 09-461-4000, AbujaHROEFM@state.gov
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.