Research and Learning Lead at Christian Aid (CA)
Christian Aid is the official relief and development agency of 41 Christian churches in the UK and Ireland, and works to support sustainable development, eradicate poverty, support civil society and provide disaster relief in South America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research and Learning Lead
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 3 years
- This role sits in the Programme Policy, Research and Learning team (PPRL); one of three teams which make up Christian Aid’s Policy, Public Affairs and Campaigns Department. PPRL exists to generate and provide thought leadership to the organisation – across our humanitarian, development and advocacy programmes.
- Its team of advisors support staff across the globe to translate and make meaningful different aspects of our strategy, bringing in external /sector-based expertise to inform our understanding and analysis; and supporting research and learning at the programme level to enhance the links between national programme delivery and learning, and global policy analysis and understanding.
About the Role
- This role leads our ‘Research, Evidence and Learning’ (REL) Hub; line managing 3 advisors (on capacity development, evidence and impact, and research communications) a thematic research specialist, and 2 fixed-term posts (a research funding manager and a research associate).
- REL has a dual mandate – to strengthen Christian Aid’s capabilities on research and evidence; and to influence wider sector thinking on development research. Team members deliver capacity development opportunities, provide technical support and advice, and work in collaboration with staff across the organisation to capture programme learning, and design and deliver research.
- The team also advocates for research led by practitioners, designed for impact, and inclusive of diverse, marginalised perspectives. Key to this is to build Christian Aid’s profile as an organisation that produces credible research, through our own research outputs, and in collaboration with academics and research institutes, especially those based in the global south.
- In addition to strategic leadership and operational management of the team, this role is designed to strengthen Christian Aid’s ability to develop research partnerships at national and regional level across our African programmes, working with country teams to support them to think through the types of research partnerships which would be useful for their humanitarian, development and advocacy programmes. This includes 10 African country programmes working on a variety of themes: Climate, governance, health, markets and livelihoods, and gender.
- We are looking for an exceptional individual who is passionate about practitioner-led research, and the value of research for development impact. You will understand the dynamics of development programmes, while also feeling confident in engaging with academics and forging partnerships in both NGO and academic sectors.
- You will provide leadership on how to integrate research into the programme management cycle and design research to be useful for practitioners. You will feel as comfortable working with Christian Aid staff and partners as you are engaging with policymakers on issues of research funding and research agenda-setting, and you will share our vision of shifting power in research so that the voices of those working with or living in poverty can be better heard.
- Equally important will be your leadership and interpersonal skills, your ability to build strong relationships and work across different departments, appreciating the diversity of cultures, work styles and perspective. You will thrive on learning and developing with others, enjoy facilitation and creating space to promote critical thinking and learning from practice.
- You will have experience of working as an advisor, be confident at team management and at managing your own workload and competing priorities.
- This role can be based in the Christian Aid offices in Ethiopia, Kenya or Nigeria
Salary & Currency
The Salary and Currency for this role will be aligned to Band B-low of the Country Payscale where the role will be based and will be offered as appropriate based on the ranges below:
- Nigeria: Band B-low – Salary Range: NGN 19,084,198/- p.a. – 22,694,637/- p.a
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance, and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance. We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce.
Application Closing Date
16th August 2020.
2nd September 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Application is by submission of a CV with supporting statement. Please ensure you address the competency requirements in your supporting statement. These can be found in the attached global competency model.
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based. Nationals and permanent residents of locations specified are encouraged to apply
- We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.