Recent Job opening for University Librarian at the Federal University, Gashua
The Federal University, Gashua is one of the 12 new Universities established 6 years ago, by the Federal Government to bridge the gap of University education in all States of the Federation, which hitherto had no Federal Universities. The University, which took off in 2014 started off with a remedial studies programmes and later with academic programmes in Arts, Science and Agriculture which had 21 programmes in all. The Centre for Irrigation and Desertification Studies (CIDS) also commenced operation from inception.
The Vision of the University is, “to be a leading Centre of Excellence distinguished by its innovative and competitive approach to teaching, learning, research and service to humanity”, therefore, it intends to he ranked among the best Universities world-wide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
Location: Gashua, Yobe
- In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Universities Act (No. 11) of 1993 as amended by the Universities Miscellaneous Provisions (amended Act of 2012), The University Council of Federal University, Gashua is inviting interested candidates with requisite qualifications and experience to apply for the post of the University Librarian which is vacant.
- The University Librarian shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the overall administration of the University Library, its branches and extension and for providing library services for entire University community.
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer and is the head of the University’s Library
- Candidate for the post should be visionary and have the ability to provide good leadership;
- Must possess proven integrity and demonstrate transparency in private and public life;
- Must be able to command the respect and loyalty of staff of the University.
Candidates for this post should:
- Possess a Ph.D in Library and Information Science from a recognized University, with at least fifteen (15) years working experience, ten (10) of which must be in a University system or twenty (20) years in other institutions of higher learning;
- Be a professionally qualified and practicing Librarian;
- Have a strong evidence of contributions to library and information field through research and publications in research journals
- Dissemination of knowledge through academic and professional activities
- Have contributed to knowledge through research and publications in reputable journals, as well as possess proven records of sound administrative leadership;
- Be registered member of the Library Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN);
- Be computer literate and proficient in relevant computer applications.
Salary and Condition of Service
- Salary and conditions of service of the University Librarian shall be as obtainable in Federal Universities in Nigeria
- Each application must be accompanied by not more than 500 words of vision statement of the candidate for the University in the twenty first century.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward one (1) soft and twenty five (25) copies of their typed Applications, attached with photocopies of certificates claimed and Curriculum Vitae and names of 3 (three) referees. The Curriculum Vitae should contain such personal details as follows:
- Full name (surname first in Capital Letters)
- Place and Date of birth
- Marital status
- Number and Ages of children
- E-mail and GSM number
- Postal address
- Permanent Home Address
- State of origin & Local Govt. Area
- Schools attended & qualifications obtained with dates
- List of Publications
- Honours / Distinctions
- Positions held with dates
- Membership of professional body
- Names and addresses of 3 (three) referees.
Applications should be marked “Confidential: for the Attention of the Registrar” at the left hand corner of the envelope, and sent to:
Federal University, Gashua,
- Late applications will not be entertained and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Successful applicants will be required to be resident in Gashua, Yobe State.