SNFI Assistant (for UNHCR Project) at Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) – 2 Positions
Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying specialto the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: SNFI Assistant (for UNHCR Project)
Location: (Maiduguri base) North-East Nigeria
Starting Date: September, 2020
Duration of Contract: 6 Months (Extendable)
Reporting to: Project coordinator
General Context of the Project
- The Boko Haram armed opposition insurgency started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. The armed conflict later spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers.
- The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the north east of Nigeria. A high number of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also been destroyed and are now non-existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Implement and maintain SHO’s shelter procedures and guidelines
- Ensure adherence to SHO’s policies and procedures
- Ensure a that the beneficiaries and community are involved in the project implementation
- Implement and maintain a filing system for all project documents according to procedures
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Participate in the selection of beneficiaries and training for beneficiaries
- Performs any other duties as requested by the supervisor
The Shelter Assistant is expected to achieve the following during this contract period:
- Work with his line manager to ensure volunteer and construction schedule is accurate and achievable.
- Ensure timely delivery of construction materials.
- Supervise the construction of shelter and other infrastructure are in line with the approved design and bill of quantities.
- Responsible for managing carpenters working on his assigned shelter
- Responsible for training and on job coaching carpenters and IDPs participating in the construction
- Responsible for ensuring Construction Crews/carpenters leaders adhere to all policies and procedures
- Provide construction leadership as needed to ensure the project schedule is met in a safe environment and in a quality manner.
- Patriciate in site planning as required. Ensure that all SHO job sites are in full compliance with Shelter Working Group guidance.
- Perform other duties as required by program needs and requested by PDM.
- Timely reporting, on a weekly and monthly basis, (identifying gaps, risks and bottlenecks that can obstruct proper implementation of activities)
- Ensure documentation of project progress is ongoing
- Prepare documentation for final handover and closure of project.
- Assisting the Shelter & NFI Officer with day to day support programmatic and coordination duties, including the management of documents, filing system and creation of the Shelter & NFI One Corps internal website.
- To regularly gather and update the programme status on SNFI projects and share updates with the SNFI Officer and other members of Technical Unit.
- To conduct background research and document search for proposals.
- Create and update the SNFI projects matrix (4 Ws) and provide details to SNFI TA when required.
- To support SNFI TA in knowledge management Perform other duties as assigned by line manager.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Project Coordinator.
Required Profile / Experience
- Degree / HND / ND in Social Sciences;
- Minimum 3 years of experience from at national level project implementation position in a humanitarian / recovery context;
- Experience in working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical in Warehousing management.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Experience in leadership and problem solving;
- Fluency in English, both written and oral including local language ad advantage;
- Capacity to adapt to basic living conditions, patience;
- Ability to deliver high-quality work within tight deadlines;
- SHO reserve the right to close the application before the deadline, the required number of candidates is attained.
- Candidates will be responsible for his/her own travel, accommodation and feeding during the recruitment process;
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application (Letter of motivation and CV in a single file) via E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the “Job position” as subject of the e-mail
Salient Humanitarian Organization,
Behind NTA Quarters, Off Damboa Road,
Old GRA, Maiduguri,
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than five pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- SHO considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- clearly indicate the “Job position” on the envelope.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, SHO will only inform shortlisted candidates for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about SHO, www.salientho.org consult: