RTI International is Currently Recruiting(6 Openings)
RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Expert (STTAs for Finance Related Trainings)
Locations: Abia, Abuja (FCT), Delta, Imo, Niger, Taraba
- RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program. E-WASH will provide technical assistance to and will work in collaboration with state governments to improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of five (5) State Water Boards (SWBs) in Nigeria.
- The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery. The overall objective of E-WASH is to assist the Government of Nigeria to expand and improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial and technical viability of select State Water Boards (SWBs) in Nigeria.
- The E-WASH activity will concentrate on solidifying state, municipal, and utility level governance gains, manifested in improved water supply services, and an improved ability to regulate, manage, and expand sanitation services.
- The Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) project, is seeking to identify dynamic and technically strong Finance Management, Audit and Budgeting Training Consultants to support in the training of Line Management and Middle Management staff in the State Water Boards of Imo, Taraba, Abia, Niger and Delta States.
- The consultants are expected to carry out the training in Abuja or at the State Water Corporations offices as the case may be. The assignment is for a range of days.
- The E-WASH Program is seeking to engage Short-Term Technical Assistants to develop the capacity of Finance Department and Audit Unit of the water corporation in Auditing processes and management, Effective budgeting and Financial Management. Generally, in order for the Utilities to achieve their financial objectives, Utilities should generate enough revenues through water rates to meet at least their operating and maintenance costs including salaries, chemicals and energy costs; and then try to optimize cost by ensuring value for money for every procurement and transaction.
- Auditing and Budgeting has always been part of the activities of any business organization of any size, modern formal budgets not only limit expenditures; they also predict income, profits, and returns on investment a month or a year ahead.
- They have evolved into tools of control and are also used as a means of determining such rewards as profit-sharing and bonuses. In the light of the need for Accountability, good governance, improve services delivery, increase services coverage, efficient use of scarce resources and financial viability, the USAID through the E-WASH programme intends to fund the review of the budgeting processes & preparation of the annual operational budgets and, train the staff on how to prepare the budget and its usage for monitoring, evaluation, learning and adaptation by the five water agencies participating in the programme and as well seek to strengthen their financial management systems.
Objectives and Deliverables of / from the Assignments:
There are three components to the training. The objective of each component of the training as well as the deliverable expected from each are as beneath each component below herein:
Urban Utility Financial Management Training
- To review and develop the Financial Management practices, processes & Controls in alignment with the SOPs developed under the FM assignment in a computerized environment and in accordance with IPSAS provision.
- Build the capacity of the staff of the Utilities to understand various components of Financial Accounting systems, Financial planning (including budgeting), Forecasting and Controls.
- Improve the capacity of the staff of the utilities on the preparations of Financial Accounts, financial planning, forecasting and Controls in a computerized environment and in accordance with IPSAS provisions.
- Prepare a Template for Financial Management (including Financial Accounting system, financial planning, forecasting and Controls) practices, processes, and controls for the Utilities in line with IPSAS
- Prepare harmonized the SOPs that developed under FM & ERP assignment.
- Prepare training materials to be implemented
- Training Report
Effective Auditing Training
- To review, develop and or upgrade auditing (both Internal and External) processes and controls manual for the Utilities in line with International best practice.
- Build the capacity of the relevant financial management staff of the utilities to understand various types of auditing.
- Build the capacity of the staff of the utilities on how to conduct effective Auditing for utilities in line with developed audit manual.
- Improve their capacity to operationalize the Audit manual, Auditing processes, and Auditing controls.
- Orient Finance department and Audit unit personnel on the auditing process using the ERP software for billing, Financial Management, HR Management and Customer care Management.
- Training Manual
- Updated Audit Manual in terms of processes and controls for the Utilities in line with International best practice.
- Develop Audit reports and query template.
- Internal Audit Checks list template
- Prepare a Comprehensive Training Report.
Utility Operations Budget Management Training
- To review, develop and or upgrade budgeting (both strategic and operational) processes and controls manual, for the Utilities in line with International best practices.
- Build the capacity of the staff of the Utilities to understand various types of budgets.
- Improve the capacity of the staff of the utilities on the preparation of operational budget for utilities in line with developed budget processes.
- Improve their capacity to operationalize/implement the budgeting process, budgeting, budgetary controls, and review; and
- To propose the integration of the budgeting system with ERP software for billing, Financial Management, HR Management and Customer Care Management.
- Prepare Manual for budgeting (both strategic and operational) processes and controls for the Utilities in line with International best practice.
- Prepare a detailed Training Report, with a training manual as an annex.
- Develop budget call circular Template.
- Developed a framework for 2021 operational budget template with General Chart of account of the Water utility.
Qualifications and Experience
- The selected Individual Consultants shall be fully Registered and certified financial professionals who are qualified to practice in Nigeria and shall also possess prior experience in providing basic accounting training in Nigeria with organizations the size of the water utilities.
- The experts shall have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- The experts must have experiences in financial due diligence (FDD), developing finance management analysis tools, experience in developing and the use of web-based accounting software.
- The experts must demonstrate a proven track record in training needs assessment, module design, career development, training and workshop presentation.
- Sector-specific experience on similar assignments and working in a donor-funded environment would be an advantage
Competencies and Special Skills Requirement
Considering that this is a Technical assistance position, the following competencies are critical to the successful delivery of the assignment:
- Good communication, analytical thinking and leadership skills;
- Able to work with a team, adaptable and output-oriented;
- Excellent in Microsoft Word and Excel use;
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Able to plan and organize multiple simultaneous tasks efficiently;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
- Excellent oral, writing and reporting skills;
- Good presentation and communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations, and to meet tight deadlines.
- Urban Utility Financial Management Training: Three to five (3-5) of Financial Management Experts are required for a period of twelve (12) man-days each. This arrangement would allow each expert to undertake the assignment in two (2) Utilities
- Effective Auditing Training: One (1) Financial Management Experts is required for a period of eight (8) man-days.
- Utility Operations Budget Management Training: One (1) Financial Management Experts is required for a period of eight (8) man days.
We offer a highly competitive remuneration.
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application Letter and a CV as one single Word document to: STTA@ewash.rti.org using the specific Training Title and the preferred location for the Financial Management component of the training i.e. “FM Training Abia or FM Training Delta or FM Training Imo or FM Training Niger or FM Training Taraba”. For interest in the remaining two components i.e. Effective Auditing Training and Effective Budgeting Training, the subject of the email should read “Effective Auditing Training, Abuja or Effective Budgeting Training, Abuja”
- On the subject line of your e-mail, you should only put the e-mail subject line as indicated above (no other text should be on this subject line)
- Interested Consultants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for negotiations.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.