The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Management)
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Management), and with the technical support from the IBM Senior Regional
- Thematic Specialist in Dakar, Senegal and from the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing, coordinating and ensuring the implementation of the overall IOM Nigeria IBM program portfolio, including deployment of IOM’s MIDAS (Migration Information and Data Analysis System) to Nigeria’s air, land and sea borders. In addition, the successful candidate will liaise and work closely with all key administrative units, donors and beneficiaries.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and monitor the administrative and operational activities of ongoing approved IBM projects, focusing on development of operational and legal components and their implementation methodology.
- Support all activities related to the screening, gap analysis and applied solutions for national data protection programmatic component, relevant inter-agency cooperation, data sharing readiness and cross-border coordination.
- Identify new project opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with approved program and ongoing activities. Review country activities and recommend programme improvements including in relation to project implementation.
- Provide operational, financial and technical support to IBM projects that focus on all aspects of Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS) deployment, including installations, training and supervising project staff applying quality control to all aspects of the various projects’ implementation, and prepare regular implementation, progress, budgetary expenditure, donor and other required reports in accordance with the Organization’s procedures and regulations.
- Lead the provision of administrative and technical support for the preparation of the implementation of the Advanced Passenger Information/Passenger Name Record (API/PNR) system at Nigerian airports, including the creation of required Secondary Inspection.
- Develop required Standard Operating Procedures for relevant programmatic components.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with project partners and donors to coordinate and expedite project implementation, develop projects, maximize project performance levels and resolve issues.
- Recommend resource mobilization and utilization options for specific IBM projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business, Information Technology, Migration Management or similar field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or University degree or its equivalent in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Training in relevant areas of strategy/system development, including organizational capacity building and trainings in such areas;
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience;
- Background in local community engagement, transition, border management. Ancillary
- background in travel and identity documents, biometric applications in border management, and related areas is desirable;
- Experience in coordinating/delivering trainings/workshops to Government officials desirable;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
- Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic area.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
- differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
- consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates theability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
4th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.