Deputy MHPSS Technical Advisor Needed at Medecins du Monde
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy MHPSS Technical Advisor
Location: Damboa, Borno
- Support the provision of MHPSS services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC)
- Based on the Borno state context and in line with MdM overall strategy, he/she will assist the MHPSS technical advisor to implement and suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on MHPSS, in close collaboration with the GBV Technical Advisor, Program Coordinator, Health Coordinator, Emergency Response Coordinator and the medical team in general.
- Assist the MHPSS technical advisor to advise the clinic team (specific focus on psychologists and MHPSS counsellors but also social workers) on ensuring the implementation of MHPSS related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator.
- Assist the MHPSS technical advisor to support the med team, through the Health Coordinator, to ensure smooth incorporation of MHPSS component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Assist the MHPSS technical advisor to support social workers, through the Health Coordinator and in tight collaboration with the GBV Technical Advisor, to ease internal referral and facilitate links between different services, especially the MHPSS ones;
- Assist the MHPSS technical advisor to ensure the quality of MHPSS activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team (specific focus on psychologists and MHPSS counsellors), data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Working proactively with the MHPSS technical advisor and in close link with the medical team, and other stakeholders to coordinate and implement MHPSS program activities.
- Support MHPSS Counsellors to develop and implement mental health and psychosocial support activities; community mobilization, awareness raising, identification of stakeholders, creation of family support group, working on family linkages.
Human Resource, Capacity Building / Training:
- Support MHPSS technical advisor in assessment and development of training packages in liaison with other stakeholders.
- With the support of MHPSS technical advisor, deliver training, workshops etc as outlined in the project.
- Support in the creation of materials including publicity documents, workshops contents.
- Ensure the quality of activities through regular monitoring and technical support, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Work with Partners to support an annual program of capacity development and events including determining dates, sourcing speakers, creating agenda, coordination of workshop materials and event reports in collaboration with the field coordinator.
Reporting, Information Management, Coordination / Representation:
- Assist the MHPSS technical advisor to ensure the MHPSS data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that MHPSS data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored (strong focus on GBV survivors)
- Assist in writing monthly, quarterly, annual reports, monitoring and evaluation activity and progress reports of project activities including monthly reporting to the MHPSS technical advisor and the field coordinator.
- Participate in Protection cluster meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in MHPSS.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- Work closely with the MHPSS technical advisor in the implementation, monitoring, follow up and reporting on all MHPSS program activities that include trainings, workshops, facilitation, data collecting, advocacy etc
- Support MdM MHPSS program through the field coordinator, health coordinator and in liaison with Logistics and HR departments to ensure program support needs are met.
Communication & Advocacy:
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to MHPSS in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
- On request support MHPSS technical advisor in other specific tasks
- Maintain a positive image of MdM at all times and in all circumstances.
- Line manager: MHPSS Technical Advisor
- Management under direct supervision: MHPSS Counsellors
- Technical links: GBV, SRH/GBV technical advisors, Health, and Program Coordinator, MdM local partner.
- Holds a Master Degree in Clinical/Health Psychology, Counselling, Psychiatric Nursing, Community Development or related field from a recognized institution
- Minimum 2 years post-qualification experience in related work preferably within an INGO or organization with similar setting.
- Experience in MHPSS project implementation within an INGO setting
- Good knowledge of counseling and community mobilization methods and tools
- Good spoken and written English
- Good spoken and written Hausa. Sound knowledge of Kanuri and Marghi is a plus
- Good communicator with proven organizational skills
- Previous experience in training/team capacity building
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel)
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: email@example.com using “DEPUTY MHPSS TA Damboa” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated